Live in Carer

wightdancer

Mar 15, 2017
MY wife and I have been together since 1964 but sadly she developed dementia 6 years ago and has of course slowly mentally deteriorated and requires more and more assistance which I do all myself. We are slowly nearing the point where she will really need to go into a home but I would prefer to delay that and keep her at home as long as possible.

During our working life we spent many years abroad and employed Filipino nannies with great success and so I thought it would be a good idea to employ one to help me take care of my wife. Sadly, it appears that Filipinos are excluded from domestic work visa eligibility in the UK so instead of me quietly paying to take care of my wife at home the government will eventually pay about £1,000 per week care home fees. (It’s ok to employ nannies from Monaco). Total madness!

Ohso

Jan 4, 2018
Hi, having lived abroad myself and had employees I can understand your feelings of what you have had in the past feels comfortable and might be suitable here, and it may well, so why not look for a Filipino carer here, I am pretty sure there will be forums that cater for Filopinos who have settled in UK and offer care work, otherwise be open to employing someone else, I have recently employed two carers for mum, they come in three times a day across 7 days and are working out brilliantly, she had lousy ones before that, so I tend to think it is the person rather than where they come from.
They are paid the going rate but still considerably cheaper than local care homes and for now I feel home is the best place for mum.

Good luck in your search x

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
What's wrong with people from the UK or countries that are part of the EU or countries where people are allowed to work in the UK?
There are 2 people from the Philippines work at the home my wife's in and they are both lovey people but so are the ones from other countries, over the years she's been or is being looked after by; Greek, Polish, Latvian, Indian, west and central African, the Middle East even an Australian and I've found them all to be unfailingly polite and with a good knowledge of English.
I can see why someone who was not first language English might want to employ someone with skills in their first language so if my wife was Indian I might want to hire someone who could speak the relevant language, but other than that I can't see why their nationality matters.
I think finding the right person to fit in with you and your wife, someone you can get on with on a day to day basis, nationality isn't (to me) that important.
K

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
Hi, having lived abroad myself and had employees I can understand your feelings of what you have had in the past feels comfortable and might be suitable here, and it may well, so why not look for a Filipino carer here, I am pretty sure there will be forums that cater for Filopinos who have settled in UK and offer care work, otherwise be open to employing someone else, I have recently employed two carers for mum, they come in three times a day across 7 days and are working out brilliantly, she had lousy ones before that, so I tend to think it is the person rather than where they come from.
They are paid the going rate but still considerably cheaper than local care homes and for now I feel home is the best place for mum.

Good luck in your search x

I agree. It's the right person, not nationality, with good spoken English. The care agency my mother-in-law had, there were several EU nationals, as well as a Filipino. When she went into care, the care supervisor was from New Zealand. Even if the government pay for your wife's care ,with the current recruitment crisis, you can't guarantee the nationality of the carers

wightdancer

Mar 15, 2017
We keep in touch with our friends in the Philippines and thought it would be a good idea to get a carer related to them. Having a stranger living in your home full-time is quite a responsibility. It is sad that anybody not in the EU can't get a carer's job here.

rainbowcat

Oct 14, 2015
We keep in touch with our friends in the Philippines and thought it would be a good idea to get a carer related to them. Having a stranger living in your home full-time is quite a responsibility. It is sad that anybody not in the EU can't get a carer's job here.

I'm not sure this is correct...? I know the nursing home 2 mins from my house employs non-EU carers. A couple of the care homes I have looked at for my father employed non-EU carers. The care agency my father used to have trained up some non-EU carers (although they didn't become carers with the agency).

I am happy to stand corrected though!

DennyD

Dec 6, 2016
Porthcawl, South Wales
I can fully understand your reasoning, it is about you trying to find a solution to your personal situation, you are looking to keep your wife as comfortable as you are able to. Your time and experiences in the Phillipines was a happy one, so why not try to bring a little of that back? I hope you will be able to arrange it without too much trouble.

wightdancer

Mar 15, 2017
I can fully understand your reasoning, it is about you trying to find a solution to your personal situation, you are looking to keep your wife as comfortable as you are able to. Your time and experiences in the Phillipines was a happy one, so why not try to bring a little of that back? I hope you will be able to arrange it without too much trouble.

Thank you, what you say is exactly right. I'm just trying to make life simple and comfortable for my wife with help from trusted friends.

wightdancer

Mar 15, 2017
I'm not sure this is correct...? I know the nursing home 2 mins from my house employs non-EU carers. A couple of the care homes I have looked at for my father employed non-EU carers. The care agency my father used to have trained up some non-EU carers (although they didn't become carers with the agency).

I am happy to stand corrected though!

I think you can get a visa to come to UK if you have certain qualifications like nursing etc., I am my wife's carer so all I need is someone to be with her when I have to go out or perhaps even need medical treatment myself. I don't need anyone with qualifications to make her a sandwich and a cup of tea.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamieF7