Donepezil side effects.

Valpiana

Sep 16, 2019
My husband was diagnosed with moderate dementia nearly a month ago and was prescribed donepezil 5 mg . After a couple of nights of vivid dreams it was going well until yesterday when he had a very vivid hallucination which he found deeply disturbing.He only had two pills left and has decided not to take any more. He is worried (and so am i) that if this happened again and he was on his own it could have serious consequences depending on the hallucination. He has never had hallucinations before so we are certain that it was the pills. Has anyone else had this happen? We are waiting for the memory clinic nurse to reply to an email to see if they are going to prescribe anything else. I am wondering if perhaps he is better off at the moment being drug free. I know the donepezil is supposed to slow down the progress of dementia but would we ever really know if it had worked?

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
My husband was put on Donepezil when he was first diagnosed as having MCI a few years ago. Only recently has he started to have hallucinations although they don't seem to trouble him, quite the reverse. Whether this is due to the Donepezil or not I'm not sure as like I said it's only started recently.
As to whether it slows down the progress I can't say. His MCI did develop into Dementia after a while. My doctor asked me a while back if I thought he had benefited by being on Donepezil and as I told her, how can you tell? It might have developed quicker without the medication, but there's no way of telling. I think it was best he kept on the medication with the chance it would slow things down. But I think you should ask his doctor if there is an alternative as the Donepezil doesn't suit everyone.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
My husband was diagnosed with moderate dementia nearly a month ago and was prescribed donepezil 5 mg . After a couple of nights of vivid dreams it was going well until yesterday when he had a very vivid hallucination which he found deeply disturbing.He only had two pills left and has decided not to take any more. He is worried (and so am i) that if this happened again and he was on his own it could have serious consequences depending on the hallucination. He has never had hallucinations before so we are certain that it was the pills. Has anyone else had this happen? We are waiting for the memory clinic nurse to reply to an email to see if they are going to prescribe anything else. I am wondering if perhaps he is better off at the moment being drug free. I know the donepezil is supposed to slow down the progress of dementia but would we ever really know if it had worked?

The problem with any of this is that you need a comparison to know if the drug was working, that comparison for most people is the carers experiences. You can only know if things have changed if you are able to see a measure against that as they were before, which for some cases is difficult as new things crop up that cloud the original question and then you have to decide is the change coincidence or related to the drug therapy?

Best go back to your GP and raise this :)

Last edited:

Jacky54

Aug 5, 2019
My husband had bad nightmares with donepezil at the start. He was originally told to take it at night, but he now takes it in the morning and it seems fine. He’s also taking Sertraline. His mood is improved by this but he still flies off the handle frequently - this has always been the case - but the prescription does help in this respect.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
My OH has been on Donepezl for near four years with no side effects at all thankfully. It is known for various side effects which is why they start with 5mg before increasing it and, of course, cannot and does not stop or slow the dementia. What it does is calm the mood swings and emotional rollercoaster ride which for us has been such a blessing.

Suzy C

Sep 16, 2019
This happened with my husband I noticed what I called waking hallucinations where he could not distinguish between his dream and reality for a couple of seconds they were so vivid. It also made him talk in his sleep sometimes. It did ease off and the benefits of Donepezil really did make things better for the first few years which I felt far outweighed the occasional hallucination. Good luck.

Help!

Sep 23, 2019
I am new on here. And my dad has just been given these but I am reluctant to start him on them after reading the side effects and I know some have told me how it doesn't effect everyone but also I want to know is ,is your husband or anyone on here on amplodine high blood pressure tablets ,cos it says the risk is higher of having slower heart rate and causing low blood pressure if taken with these, so I am really concerned.

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
I am new on here. And my dad has just been given these but I am reluctant to start him on them after reading the side effects and I know some have told me how it doesn't effect everyone but also I want to know is ,is your husband or anyone on here on amplodine high blood pressure tablets ,cos it says the risk is higher of having slower heart rate and causing low blood pressure if taken with these, so I am really concerned.

My mum was on amlodipine, perindopril and bendroflumethiazide all for blood pressure when she was diagnosed, she had her MRI scan as part of the diagnosis, before she was given donepezil she had an ECG to check her heart function.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My mum was on ramipril for high blood pressure and also had atrial fibrillation so initially they did not want to put her on donepezil. However, after the cardiac clinic tweaked her medication the doctor in the memory clinic checked her ECG and decided that she would be OK with it. She was on donepezil for the rest of her life and did not have any problems with it.

Many older people have high blood pressure, so there are a lot of people out there taking donepezil with high blood pressure.

Help!

Sep 23, 2019
My mum was on ramipril for high blood pressure and also had atrial fibrillation so initially they did not want to put her on donepezil. However, after the cardiac clinic tweaked her medication the doctor in the memory clinic checked her ECG and decided that she would be OK with it. She was on donepezil for the rest of her life and did not have any problems with it.

Many older people have high blood pressure, so there are a lot of people out there taking donepezil with high blood pressure.
So do you think it would be a good idea ist to have a ECG ..I am just so concerned. As my dad has no idea really of what he is taking and so I just don't want to take any chances having to make this decision for him .

Help!

Sep 23, 2019
My mum was on amlodipine, perindopril and bendroflumethiazide all for blood pressure when she was diagnosed, she had her MRI scan as part of the diagnosis, before she was given donepezil she had an ECG to check her heart function.
Ok so I think I will phone memory clinic today and if possible to find out if he can have a ECG ist before taking this. He had one a few months back when in hospital for a different thing but things may have changed since then .I really need to know for certain I am doing the right thing for him.

Dunroamin

May 5, 2019
UK
I would have thought it was part of a protocol to have an ECG prior to having medication prescribed to make sure there are no unsuspected arrhythmia's. I has one and have now been on this medication since February.

Interesting comment @SusyC regarding mixing up of dreams vs. reality. I occasionally get this but it does not distress me.

Help!

Sep 23, 2019
I would have thought it was part of a protocol to have an ECG prior to having medication prescribed to make sure there are no unsuspected arrhythmia's. I has one and have now been on this medication since February.

Interesting comment @SusyC regarding mixing up of dreams vs. reality. I occasionally get this but it does not distress me.
He checked his pulse rate and then after reading on here people having ECG that made me concerned so he now has one booked for next week.