A roller coaster of emotions,and what suits one does'nt suit all.

secrets

May 27, 2017
My partner David has vascular dementia and is bedbound, and I have cared for him the past 5 years,however 5 months ago he was admitted to hospital and was there 5 weeks,and then transferred to a local care home supposedly for 3 days until a package was in place,,but he was there nigh on 3 months,and his health was getting progressively worse,he looked like someone from Auschwitz having lost half his body weight,and every day I would tell him I would get him home,and of course it never happened.
To cut a long story short,i told the powers that be that I would be taking him home,as he was slowly dying.
After an enormous amount of pressure,i did get him home,and he's now been home 5 weeks,and his improvement is remarkable,he is eating well,and looks as he always did,and he talks very sensibly,and recognises everyone,and the bottom line is,he is happy.
I am not saying its easy,but I am used to it,and moving him with a 'Stand Aid' I find to be not such a problem.
And I have to say David never moans or complains,and I can leave him for around 2 hours with no problem at all.He is in a hospital bed with cot sides and he would never try to get out as he feels very safe.
I have more problems and difficulties in dealing with our business commitments than I ever have with David,paper work is not my forte and it was always David's domain,but I am learning,albeit ever so slowly.
When he came home his ribs were showing badly and his arms were almost withered,but to see him now its like another person.At night he has a whistle if he needs me,and thats not very often unless he has an urgency to use the commode,and the fact that he's aware of his bodily functions is all credit to him,so I dont get messy stuff often,and he does wear incontinence pants and thats only wee,so its no big deal,one gets used to it,and as I say,what suits one does'nt suit all,we are all different,and I must confess I never thought for a moment I would be able to do what I do.

Linton

Jul 27, 2019
Secrets I find your story so inspiring... I'm not so far on the journey of looking after my OH with dementia.. And hope I have the strength to do as you have done.. You have my greatest admiration... You are a wonderful person... Xxxxx

secrets

May 27, 2017
Secrets I find your story so inspiring... I'm not so far on the journey of looking after my OH with dementia.. And hope I have the strength to do as you have done.. You have my greatest admiration... You are a wonderful person... Xxxxx
thank you so much Linton.....very kind of you,and I am only doing what I feel is right.