Getting on care/nursing home waiting lists

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
I recently phoned a nearby care home which my partner, a PWD, says she would like to go into eventually, to ask the above question and to say the least the procedure sounds a bit complicated at least by phone. Is there a laid down procedure and what happens if a vacancy occurs but she/we doesn’t think it is needed yet?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I think that different care homes have their own procedures, but at any rate they will all want to assess her first to make sure that they can meet her needs, before placing her on their waiting list. If she is on the waiting list for a long time they will probably want to assess her again before she becomes a resident to make sure the dementia hasnt progressed to a point where they can no longer meet her needs. Most care homes will simply keep her on the waiting list if a vacancy comes up before you are ready.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
As Canary says, each care home will probably have their own procedure, but it shouldn't be too complicated. The manager will need to assess your mother, either you can take her in or the manager will probably come to her home if necessary. If she needs LA funding that is probably where complications arise - my mother was self funded so it was fairly simple.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
In always think a personal visit is preferable to a phone call. I appreciate it is not always possible.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
I agree it is important for you to visit. You need to know something about the home and level of care and to feel comfortable that the home is right for you. Then when you have found the ones that you are happy with ask them if they have a waiting list and if so, how it works.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I agree you need to visit. I assumed you already had, as your partner has said she'd like to go there - but if not, a visit is important. And it will be a lot easier to understand the procedures face-to-face, rather than trying to do it over the phone.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Thank you for your prompt and helpful replies and as she will not be fully self funded I imaging the local council also being involved. This all helps so I can prepare her as far as I can for what she will probably see as intrusions, thanks again.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
As Sirena has already mentioned, difficulties arise when the local authority are involved in funding the care as they will only pay up to a maximum amount which is invariably quite a bit lower than what the care homes charge. If they consider that a care home is needed they can provide a list of homes which meet your wife's needs and will accept local authority funded residents, but you may find that the choice is very limited. If you are in a position to pay a 'top up' payment to cover the difference between what the council will pay and what the care home charges then that will give you more flexibility when choosing a home.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
If you are in a position to pay a 'top up' payment to cover the difference between what the council will pay and what the care home charges then that will give you more flexibility when choosing a home.
Yes, do ask the care home whether they accept the LA rates and, if not, how much you would have to pay in top-up fees. Do be aware that top-ups can increase far more than inflation as her care needs increase over time