I have vascular dementia and am looking for support groups

Techie

Aug 9, 2019
2 years ago, I had a couple of strokes. Through the Stroke Association, I joined a stroke club to get some support. Speaking with people who had a similar experience to myself helped me. Last year, I was diagnosed with Vascular Dementia. I'm 63 and still have some life in me. I have been looking for a group similar to the stroke clubs but have not found any yet. There seems to be little support for dementia sufferers under 90 years of age in my neck of the woods. I am just wondering if I am hoping for too much?

Techie

Aug 9, 2019
Thanks for the reply KaraokePete. Hope your wife is doing OK.
I will take a look at that link,

Thanks

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hullo and welcome to DTP from me too, Techie. Sorry you are having a hard time finding support. I can recommend memory cafes though. The ones in Bristol we go to have a wide range of activities, my partner has vascular dementia and is a bit older than I am. Sometimes it suits us and other times maybe not. It's good to meet others in the same boat though, so hopefully you will find something suitable on the link Pete sent.

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
Hi @Techie so sorry to hear of your struggle. But good to hear you have life in you :)
Do you have a support worker from the Alzheimer’s Society?
I was diagnosed last year with FTD & I go to a group every other Wednesday called Active8 which is run by the Alzheimer’s Society for anyone under the age of 70.
I’m not sure if there is anything like this in your area? I also go to a tea dance & singing for the brain (which are both for all ages).
I hope you manage to find something in your area that appeals to you.

Techie

Aug 9, 2019
Hi
Thanks for the reply. Sorry that it has taken so long to reply, I blame the depression for that. I was diagnosed over a year ago and I did see a support worker once. I have been told by a friend about a tea dance that meets every couple of months, so I will give that a go.. Nothing else that I know of in the Thurrock area

SingsWithPugs

Sep 17, 2019
2 years ago, I had a couple of strokes. Through the Stroke Association, I joined a stroke club to get some support. Speaking with people who had a similar experience to myself helped me. Last year, I was diagnosed with Vascular Dementia. I'm 63 and still have some life in me. I have been looking for a group similar to the stroke clubs but have not found any yet. There seems to be little support for dementia sufferers under 90 years of age in my neck of the woods. I am just wondering if I am hoping for too much?

Do you mind if I ask how you were diagnosed? I recently had an MRI (to rule out a tumor, because I have one-sided hearing loss and tinnitus) . The MRI showed no tumor, but did show "small vessel changes", "mild, patchy". I haven't yet seen a neurologist. I'm not aware of my memory failing. But if my mind is going, maybe I wouldn't notice!

Techie

Aug 9, 2019
Do you mind if I ask how you were diagnosed? I recently had an MRI (to rule out a tumor, because I have one-sided hearing loss and tinnitus) . The MRI showed no tumor, but did show "small vessel changes", "mild, patchy". I haven't yet seen a neurologist. I'm not aware of my memory failing. But if my mind is going, maybe I wouldn't notice!

I went to my GP after my wife and other family members noticed that I was asking the same questions over and over. I seemed to be forgetting a lot, and the last straw was that i put my glasses in the fridge, I was referred to a memory clinic where I underwent many memory test over a period of a couple of months. I also had a brain scan. After that, the consultant came to the conclusion that I had Vascular Dementia.

Techie

Aug 9, 2019
How long has it been since you were diagnosed? You seem to be able to write lucidly.
i was diagnosed just a year ago. It has been a struggle to learn to use the laptop again. Vascular dementia is a little different, I think, The decline is not a steady one, I am told that I can be OK for a while then experience a little more decline.

jackthelad19199

Jan 16, 2020
i was diagnosed just a year ago. It has been a struggle to learn to use the laptop again. Vascular dementia is a little different, I think, The decline is not a steady one, I am told that I can be OK for a while then experience a little more decline.
my partner was diagnosed around 2 years ago and has been largely ignored by drs he seems to be fine for periods of time then declines into bad memory loss behaviour changes and massive bouts of depression its heartbreaking and disgraceful not been to get help information from the people who u would think want to help i am not someone who moans moans and demands this and that but 3 appointments on
average lasting 15 mins is i would think a disgrace if anyone should know how jacks progressing it should be me and close friends who see him every day before xmas i demanded some information from his dr who arranged for someone to come and see what help they could offer he came once had a chat with us and promised to come back a fortnight later with some info that might help jack guess what some info arrived in the post thats the last we heard or saw of him he gets asked silly questions like what help he needs wants has we say hes never been in this postion before and unlikely again how we should know beats me have a good day folks and sorry if i went of track a bit

jackthelad19199

Jan 16, 2020
my partner was diagnosed around 2 years ago and has been largely ignored by drs he seems to be fine for periods of time then declines into bad memory loss behaviour changes and massive bouts of depression its heartbreaking and disgraceful not been to get help information from the people who u would think want to help i am not someone who moans moans and demands this and that but 3 appointments on
average lasting 15 mins is i would think a disgrace if anyone should know how jacks progressing it should be me and close friends who see him every day before xmas i demanded some information from his dr who arranged for someone to come and see what help they could offer he came once had a chat with us and promised to come back a fortnight later with some info that might help jack guess what some info arrived in the post thats the last we heard or saw of him he gets asked silly questions like what help he needs wants has we say hes never been in this postion before and unlikely again how we should know beats me have a good day folks and sorry if i went of track a bit

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laneyd