Should care plan be agreed before financial assessment conducted?

Jenni_B

Aug 24, 2019
France
I'm asking this on behalf of my sister who is sole carer of her husband who has Alzheimer's.

Last week the SS conducted their first care needs assessment for my BIL. According to AgeUK a care needs Plan, arising from the needs assessment, should be discussed and agreed before a financial assessment takes place. In practice does it happen this way?

At last week's meeting the social worker told my sister that her job is to make sure the appropriate care is put into place, regardless of the cost.

Financial assessment has since been scheduled for 3rd October. Yesterday, after my sister asked the social worker for the care needs plan prior to the FA, the confusing reply she has received seems to be saying that it won't happen this way; rather, the FA outcome will be used to influence the care needs plan. Is that right?

My feeling is that my sister should hold out for the care plan and say that she will be forced to postpone the FA until she and BIL have seen and agreed it. What do you think?

Jenni_B

Aug 24, 2019
France
ps. the social worker who carried out the care needs assessment is aware that they will be self-funding for a short while.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
SS do a needs assessment before the financial.
When they did dad’s they asked the financial bit at the end of the needs assessment.
It will be on the end of the needs.

Jenni_B

Aug 24, 2019
France
@TNJJ - Thanks. So this on AgeUK site is inaccurate (my underlining):

"After you’ve had the care needs assessment, and you've an agreed care and support plan, there will be a financial assessment, also known as a means test. This is where your local council will ask about your finances and income to work out how much you will contribute to your care."

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall

"After you’ve had the care needs assessment, and you've an agreed care and support plan, there will be a financial assessment, also known as a means test. This is where your local council will ask about your finances and income to work out how much you will contribute to your care."
They may do it differently up your way.
I know when they had finished the needs assessment.They also phoned me to ask whether dad was still self funding.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I think it may be because SS have heard that you will be self-funded. If you tell them that you will be self-funded I dont think they are required to do a financial assessment and they tend to let you just get on with it.

Jenni_B

Aug 24, 2019
France
Thank you @TNJJ and @canary. So you seem to be saying it's not as clear cut as the AgeUK site indicates - or else I'm misinterpreting what they are saying about care plans - that different authorities might work in different ways, and that if they know up-front that you're self-funding they are under no obligation to carry out a means test anyway.

So there seems to be no point in my sister pushing to agree a plan based on the needs assessment or even get a copy of the SW's needs assessment before next week's FA.

It just seems contradictory after the SW told my sister last week: "It's my job to make sure the appropriate care is put into place regardless of the cost." Which we also took to mean regardless of who pays. :(

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
It sounds like there is some confusion with regards to what the social worker has said. The financial assessment might influence the care needs plan with regards to who arranges/provides the care but won't affect the actual level of care/support required.

If someone is self-funding then a financial assessment may not be carried out but their care needs will remain the same, regardless of funding. So the social worker is right with regards to making sure that the appropriate package of care is put in place, regardless of who is paying.

The financial assessment will be carried out independently from the care needs assessment/plan to establish whether her husband should contribute to his care or not.

This fact sheet is good at explaining the care needs/ financial assessment process:

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/legal-financial/dementia-care-needs-assessment

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019

Frustrating is it it, but at least here on this forum you can find the voices of experience & the helpline is an excellent source of information

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
If you are requesting a needs assessment its usually a good idea not to tell them that you will be self-funding before the needs assessment. If they ask about funding you can be vague and say you arnt sure about how much he has.

Jenni_B

Aug 24, 2019
France
It sounds like there is some confusion with regards to what the social worker has said. The financial assessment might influence the care needs plan with regards to who arranges/provides the care but won't affect the actual level of care/support required.

If someone is self-funding then a financial assessment may not be carried out but their care needs will remain the same, regardless of funding. So the social worker is right with regards to making sure that the appropriate package of care is put in place, regardless of who is paying.

The financial assessment will be carried out independently from the care needs assessment/plan to establish whether her husband should contribute to his care or not.

This fact sheet is good at explaining the care needs/ financial assessment process:

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/legal-financial/dementia-care-needs-assessment
Thanks, Louise, for this very clear explanation and the link.

Thanks too to @TNJJ, @canary and @DesperateofDevon. These frustrations with SS are only just beginning for my sister, I know, and yes, it's good to find people like yourselves who can help shed some light.

Jenni_B

Aug 24, 2019
France

Thanks, Louise, for this very clear explanation and the link.

Thanks too to @TNJJ, @canary and @DesperateofDevon. These frustrations with SS are only just beginning for my sister, I know, and yes, it's good to find people like yourselves who can help shed some light.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aliso