What happens next?

gentle giant

Apr 30, 2019
I don't post on here very often and when i do i'm always asking for advice so may i apologise in advance.

My wife has recently been diagnosed with alzheimer's but i have known for some time that she has had some form of dementia, after a couple of years of begging her to go to the doctor we are now on the radar. My current problem is our dogs: we have two small terriers which she dotes on but unfortunately she tends to forget that they have already been fed and feeds them over and over again. One of the dogs has become overweight and lethargic due to this but i am unable to reason with her and this results in endless arguments.

I appreciate that this may seem a minor problem to many of you but i'm new to all this and at the moment i'm really struggling to cope.

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
I don't post on here very often and when i do i'm always asking for advice so may i apologise in advance.

My wife has recently been diagnosed with alzheimer's but i have known for some time that she has had some form of dementia, after a couple of years of begging her to go to the doctor we are now on the radar. My current problem is our dogs: we have two small terriers which she dotes on but unfortunately she tends to forget that they have already been fed and feeds them over and over again. One of the dogs has become overweight and lethargic due to this but i am unable to reason with her and this results in endless arguments.

I appreciate that this may seem a minor problem to many of you but i'm new to all this and at the moment i'm really struggling to cope.

Oh dear I expect the dogs adore her! I seriously doubt it’s a minor problem they seldom are with people who have dementia.
Can you hide the dog food after you’ve fed them and tell her you’ve run out and you will have to go and buy some later? Or could you tell her the vet said the dogs need to eat a bit less because they are over weight? Little white lies sometimes work and my mum takes notice when doctors are mentioned so perhaps your wife will if you mention the vet.
If your wife is anything like my mother she won’t be pacified and will just keep going on and on regardless of what you do or say.
I find it so strange that PWD can’t remember something they did minutes or even seconds before.

I have two westies and unfortunately my mum who lives with us is giving them sly digs when no one is looking but I keep catching her and it’s really upsetting. She’s never really liked dogs merely tolerated them so I am not surprised the dementia has brought out her less caring side.

Good luck hope you find the answer soon x

Littlebear

Jan 6, 2017
Devon
Short of locking the food away, you could always try drawing up a 'Feeding Chart'. You can always say the vet has told you to keep track if she's resistant to the idea. I use charts for various activities/tasks with my husband & we tick them off together. I always try to substitute another activity if the job's already been done - could be as simple as changing the water in the dogs' water bowls, letting them out into the garden or taking them for a walk. He spends lots of time checking them but it does reduce arguments. Good luck.

charlie10

Dec 20, 2018
Hi @gentle giant.....would it work if you stopped feeding them and just let them have what your wife gives them....at least it would cut it down. I use a measuring cup when I feed mine.....if she would use one you could give her a very small one, so that they get 'snacks'rather than meals. I'm sure they're ecstatic to get all this food, but it's one more worry for you, my only other suggestion would be to lock the food away......hope you can get past this phase quickly

Donkeyshere

May 25, 2016
outside UK
What about changing to diet dog food - at least the calorie intake would reduce - the MIL kept giving treats to our dog without us knowing (the MIL PWD lives wth us) and we couldnt figure out why the dog was getting so fat. But we spotted her doing it on the sly - she is now on a diet (the dog that is!)

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Low calorie dog food, & please don’t worry too much - my Mum overfed the cat for years it was a barrel on legs. It doesn’t take animals long to regain their natural weight.

The pleasure it brings your wife is the paramount issue.
Low calorie treats are a good idea
Also maybe a new few dog play things so your wife can interact with the dogs in a different manner.
My PWD love to see & interact with animals so providing other sources - toys- for that interaction is helpful. Also possibly a grooming mitt?
Gentle on the animal & pleasurable for both dog & PWD.

Hope that helps a little.
X

gentle giant

Apr 30, 2019
Thank you all for your replies, the main issue i have is that she won't just feed them dog food but insists they need "something to give it more flavour" So she will give them anything from chicken to cheese so hiding their food or going low fat isn't an option. She knows she is doing wrong and in her more lucid moments will agree, however an hour later....

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillWife