Where do clothes go????

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Possibly. In mums care home one of the activities was folding laundry and I found in mums home a whole stack of face flannels (all stiff as boards) neatly folded on a windowsill

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
And today another batch of jam doughnuts

20190907_151517.jpg

I will never be able to look at jam doughnuts in the same way again......:(

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
A likely story! :D
Maybe your mum wanted to give you a treat?

She may well have wanted to make sure I was ok in the night, she is like that, but I am not sure a jam doughnut is quite the thing for night time munchies. I will say it was very neatly wrapped in two pieces of kitchen towel

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I must say that the jam donut saga is giving me a fair amount of amusement, especially linked, as it is, to the kitchen paper saga.............
m0172.gif

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
I'd rather like someone to leave me a surprise doughnut :rolleyes:

A few months ago when she was more able, Mum 'embellished' one of her flower arrangements with a cheeky sandwich! Couldn't resist a photo.
upload_2019-9-7_19-3-27.png

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
[
I must say that the jam donut saga is giving me a fair amount of amusement, especially linked, as it is, to the kitchen paper saga.............
m0172.gif
Can I add rubber bands to the saga please. I cannot believe Mum is unique on this front. Item wrapped in kitchen roll, sometimes plastic bag but always a rubber band as well

Rosalind297

Oct 14, 2017
A tissue obsession seems to be really common in dementia. My mum had tissues everywhere, in pockets, up her sleeves, tucked in waistbands, even in her bra-straps and her handbag was stuffed to overflowing with them. They were all over the house, often wrapped around items that had been hidden and she had bought so many boxes (plus toilet rolls) that I didnt need to buy her any more in the three years that she was in her care home - I just used up her "stock"!

This is good to know as Mum’s tissue/toilet paper/kitchen roll hoarde has to be seen to be believed. Every drawer, cupboard, box is crammed with the stuff, every cushion has it underneath, every rail is draped in ir, every mug has tissues folded in side. Every day, at least once, I look at her and she has toilet paper falling from the bottom of her trousers WHY? If we go to a cafe or somewhere for lunch, she studiously collects every paper napkin she can find to take home. I just wish I knew this was going to happen as I would have bought shares in Kleenex and Andrew

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
This is good to know as Mum’s tissue/toilet paper/kitchen roll hoarde has to be seen to be believed. Every drawer, cupboard, box is crammed with the stuff, every cushion has it underneath, every rail is draped in ir, every mug has tissues folded in side. Every day, at least once, I look at her and she has toilet paper falling from the bottom of her trousers WHY? If we go to a cafe or somewhere for lunch, she studiously collects every paper napkin she can find to take home. I just wish I knew this was going to happen as I would have bought shares in Kleenex and Andrew
Oh maybe Alzheimer’s society should bring out a brand .... great way of funding
I was joking.... but actually not so stupid !

Claireo

Sep 24, 2019
[

Can I add rubber bands to the saga please. I cannot believe Mum is unique on this front. Item wrapped in kitchen roll, sometimes plastic bag but always a rubber band as well

My mum loves her rubber bands. They go round everything in a plastic bag in the fridge...around the toothbrush used for cleaning, not sure what. Also pegs just keep appearing everywhere except on the washing line...

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
My mum is a tissue warrior (worrier?) as well.
Tissues are folded into triangles and loo paper into oblongs and then distributed around her body/clothing and like Hansel and Gretel with the breadcrumbs, you can track mum's whereabouts - just follow the disgarded paper trail.

Do you ever ponder on the peculiarities of dementia? There seem to be similar behaviour patterns that occur for each type of dementia, I haven't read that the tissue folding happens in any other dementia but Alzheimer's (but do correct me if I'm wrong). Why? What a bizarre symptom and what was used in the days before paper tissues?
It's a 4.30 in the morning type question, product of Xtreme tiredness and mental wanderings.

Larker

Mar 1, 2019
East Yorkshire
Over the last few years various 'things' have gone missing. The standing joke at one time was to look in the hedges when I couldn't find anything. Often missing pans, garden tools etc. would be found if I looked in the hedges round where we live. Waste food such as banana skins, apple cores were often just thrown out the door or window!
Most recently tho' clothes seem to just disappear. I don't mean just socks but tops, trousers, coats etc. I've looked everywhere I can think of and still no sign. I am aware that my OH can just take a dislike to something he's been wearing for some time. He did this with a fleece recently. Because he suddenly became aware that it was a 'Peter Storm' fleece he then decided it wasn't his but 'that bloke's'. Even after I cut the label out it's still referred to as 'not his' but 'that other bloke's'.
I've booked a short holiday for us and am having to pack the bag in advance to make sure clothes don't suddenly disappear. I haven't been able to track down a few pairs of trousers after totally sorting through wardrobes etc. Any suggestions?
Hi Juba. I think the problem is they just dont' recognise their things. I find my OH clothes in my wardrobe or drawers. It is very strange. When he cant get his clothes on he says his legs have swollen or the clothes have shrunk, the buttons are too small, the shirt is old. I don't know what he is really thinking but I would probably also make excuses if I suddenly couldn't do something I had always been able to do. Keep going. My daughter bought me a book to read "Knickers in the Fridge". She said he will make me laugh. If I ever get time to read it.

Larker

Mar 1, 2019
East Yorkshire
What is it with kitchen roll!!!!! I’m still finding it in pockets, drawers etc is it the dementia equivalent to a binky ( comfort blanket / dummy from childhood)?
Hi Desperate Devon. Just read your comments. My husband takes serviettes from cafes when we are out and puts them in his pocket 'in case he needs one'

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Hi Juba. I think the problem is they just dont' recognise their things. I find my OH clothes in my wardrobe or drawers. It is very strange. When he cant get his clothes on he says his legs have swollen or the clothes have shrunk, the buttons are too small, the shirt is old. I don't know what he is really thinking but I would probably also make excuses if I suddenly couldn't do something I had always been able to do. Keep going. My daughter bought me a book to read "Knickers in the Fridge". She said he will make me laugh. If I ever get time to read it.

I’m going to look out for that one.