Day centre and breach of confidentiality

Alex54

Oct 15, 2018
Newtown, Wales
Should day centres be allowed to produce confidential reports on clients to social services?

First a bit of background: my wife's social worker pushed for her to attended the local day centre which was financially supported by social services. The day centre visit did not go well, and at a DST meeting a few weeks later the social worker started to read out passages from what looked like a detailed report from the day centre. When I contacted the day centre and asked for a copy it was refused.

Here are my thoughts:
  1. The day centre is breaching the confidentiality between clients and the day centre. I agree it should be able to send reports to social services on who attends and general comments. However, it is wrong to send a detailed assessment of a client without first getting approval from the client or family first.
  2. It is also wrong to exclude the client/family. Any detailed report to social services should allow for comments by the client/family.
  3. The day centre staff are not qualified to produce assessments on clients, these should only be produced by qualified medical personal.
What do you think?

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
If SS are paying the fees/cost, surely the contract is between them and the day centre.

If SS asked for a detailed report from the day centre in support of funding ( or not funding) why would they have to ask your permission?

Quizbunny

Nov 20, 2011
I suspect that the staff at centres that provide care for people with dementia receive training that does qualify them to make assessments. To be honest I would think that those who work closely with PWD are better qualified than most health professionals