Dementia diagnosis day - triple D!

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
So Aged Mother was feeling a bit sorry for herself this morning, between carers & myself & Mums Bank friends, she’s agreed to be winkled out for a girlie lunch.
Lots of repetition of key words & points , but got Mum singing down the phone to me!
I’m knackered but smiling! Nice to hear Mum sing songs again.
Hopefully the upbeat mode will continue today.

Distraction & positivity techniques are great but .... being that chirpy is tiring at times!
:rolleyes:

Me thinks some retail food therapy is required!;)

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Aged Mother enjoyed her child’s portion of fish and chips, she said followed up by ice cream; & a trip to M&S! Even a new jumper was purchased along with more knickers( Mother will soon be supplying the local population with packets of unopened knickers if there is ever a supply shortage!!!)

I love those ‘Bank Girls’! They managed to achieve what I haven’t, got her out & about; now that precedent is started it should make motivating mum to get out with us easier!

Like Baldrick in Blackadder- “ I have a cunning plan....”

Yep usually like Baldricks mine to fail hilariously; but hey you’ve got to give it a go....

Melles Belles

Jul 4, 2017
South east
When my mother died suddenly from a stroke, a few years ago, we found over a 100 pairs of new knickers still in packets. She was of course wearing ones full of holes with worm out elastic.
We think she may have had v early stages of Vas Dem as she may have had a few TIAs not long before the big stroke.
She was a serious hoarder and it took us over a year to clear the house so Dad could downsize.
We found over 3200 tea bags, 32 tins of Morrison’s pea and ham soup and 16 jumbo boxes of instant porridge. There were enough loo rolls and kitchen rolls to last my Dad and my sisters family for 18 months. Just before she died she had been complaining that her favourite brand of loo roll and been out of stock for a couple of weeks.
There was also a Xmas cake in the freezer dated 1997(in 2015) it was ok and dad polished it off.

Donkeyshere

May 25, 2016
outside UK
Aged Mother enjoyed her child’s portion of fish and chips, she said followed up by ice cream; & a trip to M&S! Even a new jumper was purchased along with more knickers( Mother will soon be supplying the local population with packets of unopened knickers if there is ever a supply shortage!!!)

I love those ‘Bank Girls’! They managed to achieve what I haven’t, got her out & about; now that precedent is started it should make motivating mum to get out with us easier!

Like Baldrick in Blackadder- “ I have a cunning plan....”

Yep usually like Baldricks mine to fail hilariously; but hey you’ve got to give it a go....

Totally get the knickers! MIL going into respite care in a few weeks, she has remembered and said she wanted to get some new knickers when she goes in - she has two draws full of them but off we went and got the knickers. Got home and passed them to her, she said what do I need these for I have draws full of them! Oh Knickers!

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
Totally get the knickers! MIL going into respite care in a few weeks, she has remembered and said she wanted to get some new knickers when she goes in - she has two draws full of them but off we went and got the knickers. Got home and passed them to her, she said what do I need these for I have draws full of them! Oh Knickers!

Hello @Donkeyshere, you've made me laugh out loud on a rainy Sunday morning!
Honestly, shall we all applaud the fact that sometimes the relentless gloom of dementia can throw up some funny moments.

Never mind the wet weather, smile and have a good day everyone!

Donkeyshere

May 25, 2016
outside UK
Hello @Donkeyshere, you've made me laugh out loud on a rainy Sunday morning!
Honestly, shall we all applaud the fact that sometimes the relentless gloom of dementia can throw up some funny moments.

Never mind the wet weather, smile and have a good day everyone!

Glad it gave you a laugh the things they say! - as you say a little sunlight in the rain makes it a "sunny day".

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Yes, there is always a lighter side. My dad had a box of bandages. One had an odd name so my daughter opened it, money had been rolled up in it. So she unrolled the others, guess what, I told her to spend it all!

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Yes, there is always a lighter side. My dad had a box of bandages. One had an odd name so my daughter opened it, money had been rolled up in it. So she unrolled the others, guess what, I told her to spend it all!

That made me smile
X
What a lovely thing to do
Xx

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
So four an a half hours on the phone, lovely community nurse rings back- as for the others - pwah! Is the polite description.

Mum is booked in for respite care near me & Dads care home! Spent hours trying to get Mum a week somewhere but finally a result! Looks like a five star hotel, & the cost is about the same. Hopefully Mum will be treated like a queen for a week. Physio, OT, holistic treatments, hairdresser etc all on site!

Poor Aged mother now worried about incontinence, no matter how much I reassure her we loop the loop again & again. Positive reinforcement from carers & community team!

Have said Mum needs to see her husband, in the email reply to SS - another needs assessment will be required. Mums been wanting to visit Dad since June & been pretty vocal about it... Mums never had respite care despite her diagnosis in 2014. Now she’s at late to end stage according to the consultant! So I made an executive decision, & have sorted out in 4 hours what hasn’t been even tackled in the past 4 months since hospital admission.

All the assessments from the respite will go onto Mums files, so it’s money well spent; if only for further documentation to wiggle under noses at a later date!

This whole system is broken... shockingly so.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzieMK27