Can anyone help me with new TV?

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Our old TV broke down, and OH (PWD) is bereft without one to watch all day.

I have bought a new one, which I find OK to use - but for him, it is too complicated. He doesn't want to even try to use it. The leaflet says it can be programmed to work basically using the SKY remote....

I have tried programming the new TV through the SKY box using the code from inside the SKY remote, but for some reason it is not working.

Can anyone come up with any ideas? Only you guys can understand how bad it is for PWD to be outside their comfort zone......

thanks a lot

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I have free view and need to use two remote controls. If this is what has happened with you, @maryjoan I`m not surprised your OH is struggling.

If this is the case it doesn`t bode well when you take refuge in your annexe. I do hope someone will be able to advise.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
There's an explanation on the link below, but it's news to me you can use a number from inside the battery case. Normally you have to look up the 4 figure number for the make and model of tv you have.
There's a link to finding the code for your make and model on the sky link.
Using a number from inside the sky remote would imply they know the make and model of your tv or that there's a universal number that works with any tv, as far as I know that isn't the case you need the number for your specific tv.
K

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-remote-tv-codes

nestle

Jul 22, 2016
Southwest but Yorkie by birth
It sounds tricky, not surprised he struggles. I've come across a dementia friendly remote called 'Flipper'. Bought one from Alzproducts.co.uk about £16.00 once vat is deducted. Haven't tried it yet but it might be worth a look

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
I have free view and need to use two remote controls. If this is what has happened with you, @maryjoan I`m not surprised your OH is struggling.

If this is the case it doesn`t bode well when you take refuge in your annexe. I do hope someone will be able to advise.
Oh @Grannie G - my annexe has gone by the board - I have missed the boat insomuch as he cannot be left for hours on his own any more - my children pointed this out in detail - I was in cloud cuckoo land for a little while !! Oh well, onwards........

pevensey

Feb 14, 2012
South East Coast.
That's a nightmare for you Mary Joan, a PWD without a tv is not a happy bunny, my hubby likes to sit and watch tv even if he can't follow what's going on and he will probably go to sleep while watching. Why is technology so complicated these days. Hope you get a solution soon. Take care and look after YOURSELF

Vic10

Feb 18, 2017
Yes, you should be able to programme so that you can continue using the sky remote. However, I have never been able to do this so I get hold of a local guy who fits tv ariels etc it took him a matter of seconds and he asked for £5,money well spent in my view.
Nowadays if I can avoid any unnecessary hassle I do!

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Update:-

Son in law understands my situation and is prepared to do a 60 mile return trip after work, to come here tomorrow and see if he can sort it !! Good Lad!