Council Tax

Brendan2000

Sep 22, 2019
I have been living with my mother for last four years as her carer. And I declared I was living there. I gave up my business and lived off my savings for last two years only taking carers benefit the last year. I was in the understanding that as a living in carer I would be on my mothers discount. My mum has since moved into care recently. I got billed for three years council tax full amount no discounts. They say they just received the Doctors certificate that my mum was diagnosed with Dementia three years ago and since she exempt I have to stump up three years of full amount council tax? No discounts they said I could gret the single persons discount but only for last 6 months. I haven't worked last couple of years lived off my savings and cared for my mum. During of which I had two breakdown episodes and have suffered from depression throughout the caring.

Is there anything I can do? Its a lot of money to find And I lost my buisiness caring for my mum.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Everyone gets single person discount so that should be a given as you now live alone.

Presumably you were not charged and got the reduction for the last 3 years. Dont understand why they think you are 3 years in arrears.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Just a thought.Are you on the electoral roll? That would be able to prove you have lived there a while...
Also ,the right hand never knows what the left is doing.I should give them a ring and tell them about the carers allowance etc.
If you have universal credit etc tell them that too.As apparently you have to phone them.It doesn’t automatically get looked at.(despite them telling you it does)

Brendan2000

Sep 22, 2019
Apparently because my mum was diagnosed with dementia she was exempt. So they have returned her money. Instead they have billed the full amount to me going back three years to when my mum was officially diagnosed. I only took carer benefits for a year. I had savings from my business which I lost partly due to depression stress etc looking after my mum.

They are looking into it but guy at desk said that I am now liable to pay and they can't discount me anymore than 6 months back. Its a mess. It feels like another kick in t he teeth in a long line over the last couple of years.

Recent Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan