improving wellbeing through Yoga and meditation

GabbyH

May 30, 2019
I get a huge amount from the 'everyday ' Yoga class I go to. It's very accessible - the tutor always says it's not just about the movements but the philosophy (taking time out/ meditation/ mindfulness etc). If it could be made available streamed live to people's homes would carers be interested? What would be the negatives? I'd really appreciate any thoughts people have. Thank You

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I have used yoga and meditation techniques for many years, yes it does help. Waiting while my husband is so slow, I stand and do yoga breathing.
But most Carers have so little time once the caring is full on to learn new skills.
There are many videos on Youtube. In fact many relaxation talks too.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
As AliceA says there are many videos on youtube, my daughter uses them for both pilates and yoga - (specifically for core for her sport rather than the breathing/mindfullness aspect).

I'm not sure live streaming would work for carers, they only have limited time and would need something that fitted in with them and not vice versa.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I used to do yoga, but there is no way I could do it now. I am on alert all the time - listening out for OH even if he is asleep and I regularly have to stop what I am doing to sort him out. Even in the time that I have been on here this morning, OH came downstairs very unbalanced, fell, and I have had to get him back upstairs and put him back to bed.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I did yoga when my husband was at home with me but there was no way I could meditate. His needs were random and I was in a state of continuous anxiety.
I managed to attend a weekly class when I had a carer for two hours.

My husband and I exercised at home using youtube until he told me he was dizzy and couldn`t see properly so we had to stop.

I imagine Yoga, meditation and Tai Chi need to be known, to a certain extent, before they become beneficial. When it`s not practical to make a regular commitment they may not be as helpful as hoped.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
It's only since I have stopped being a full-time carer that I have really had time for this kind of class. I'm afraid it just wasn't possible for me when I was in the full throes of caring.

As you say, it is more than just movements - but incorporates meditation/mindfulness etc - that's very hard to achieve when you constantly have to have one eye or ear open to keep check on the person you are caring for and keeping safe.

I grabbed the occasional hour to myself when my husband was napping - during which I would take time to meditate and re-charge - but doing this as part of a regular class at a set time, even online, was not feasible.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I've been going to yoga classes for about 3 years, but decided to skip the current term as the stress of answering questions about where I'm going and why meant I got there too tired to participate. It is a good escape for an hour an half when I get the chance to relax and enjoy it, but at home it is hard to get 10 minutes at a time to relax and enjoy anything.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alister