Joint account

marshal

Sep 6, 2017
We have a financial assessment looming, Is it OK to spend money from our joint account before this happens? I find it difficult to go over the terrible 2 months I have just endured but now I have to try and sort out the money side and OH only has money in our joint account which has approx £54000 total so his portion £27000 so over thresh hold by 3 or 4 thousand. Can I do anything.

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
I guess it might depend on what you do with the money. Half of it is yours anyway. Believe me, you will soon spend the money - it doesn't last long on care paraphernalia. Someone with more experience will be along to give you wise words :) Good luck!

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
I have a similar problem. My father ya in a care home which is fully funded because he was sectioned. He has pensions and other money going into mums joint account. Mum now has dementia. There joint income would put her over the threshold if it were split in two but it would be more my fathers money than hers because she doesn’t have a private pension. Does it still get split in half?

I’m mentioning this because it might help if your income contributes to the joint account. If that makes sense?

Wifenotcarer

Mar 11, 2018
Central Scotland
When my ancient Uncle was in a care home for assessment with a view to a permanent stay an initial assessment showed that he would be a couple of thousand £££'s over the threshold for self funding. A kind Social Worker suggest that he should purchase a fully paid funeral plan, which was an allowable expense. This brought him below the threshold and the Council paid in full for all his care thereafter.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
When my ancient Uncle was in a care home for assessment with a view to a permanent stay an initial assessment showed that he would be a couple of thousand £££'s over the threshold for self funding. A kind Social Worker suggest that he should purchase a fully paid funeral plan, which was an allowable expense. This brought him below the threshold and the Council paid in full for all his care thereafter.
I think that is a very good idea. I bought one for my SIL from Age UK and feel relieved it is taken care of.

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
I think that is a very good idea. I bought one for my SIL from Age UK and feel relieved it is taken care of.

Do you mind me asking how much that was? I’m really worried i have two parents with dementia and funeral costs keep me awake at night!!

rainbowcat

Oct 14, 2015
Sorry, I'm going a little OT as well, but is there a funeral plan anywhere that you can pop money into (let's say £5k) and then get the balance back if you end up spending less on the funeral? I'd love to feel safe that costs are covered, but would hate to be tied into specific arrangements just because the money HAS to be spent on funeral costs.

(ie: Dad might currently want a burial so we buy that plan, but then he changes his mind and wants a cremation, significantly cheaper than burial...)

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Do you mind me asking how much that was? I’m really worried i have two parents with dementia and funeral costs keep me awake at night!!
If you look on the Age UK website there should be access to their funeral plans with prices and what your choices should be. I seem to recall the the one for SIL was the middle choice and about £3700. When the policy was finalised I took copies and gave one to her sheltered housing management and to a couple of relatives who might just be around even if she outlived us

You can pay it all at once or in monthly instalments from their pensions.

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
If you look on the Age UK website there should be access to their funeral plans with prices and what your choices should be. I seem to recall the the one for SIL was the middle choice and about £3700. When the policy was finalised I took copies and gave one to her sheltered housing management and to a couple of relatives who might just be around even if she outlived us

You can pay it all at once or in monthly instalments from their pensions.

Brilliant! Thank you I will look at that ASAP! The last thing I want is to be worrying about paying when the time comes. It will be a load off my mind to get it sorted now x