Immobility

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
Hello there,

This is a really dumb question - sorry!

Dad is at the stage where he can just about stand though he's very wobbly and sometimes it takes a few goes. Mum can just about transfer him to/from bed etc (though it's an absolute struggle).

I'm trying to convince mum it's time to accept outside help and so I'm thinking about what the help will be like - so I can explain it to her in a positive way and encourage her. I just wondered, when Dad can no longer stand, but isn't at the stage where he will be in bed all day...what happens? I know there are hoists, but I can imagine at Dad's current stage of agitation he will not have any of that kind of thing. Will he need 2 carers? Or will a carer usually be happy to lift if one of us is also there to be lifting him?

Sorry if it's a daft question, I've never had to think of this before (Now that I've found this forum, be ready for lots of daft questions!). Am just trying to stay one step ahead as much as possible, for the past year I feel like we've been 100 paces behind and never ready for anything. Thank you so much!

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Hi.My dad cannot walk on his own and has carers and a gutter frame.He is bent forward like a question mark and can only do 6 steps with the frame.
He has carers in 4 times a day.
He also has a Sara Steady to transfer from his recliner to the bedroom or toilet.(He cannot stand without equipment).
Carers are not allowed to lift .

Your dad will need to be assessed by an OT.The equipment will be on loan.
Although one person can push the Sara Steady ,a second person may be needed if your dad leans to the side.
I hope this is some help.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
My OHs care company won't allow their carers to manually lift. I assume it's not allowed these days. If your father can weight bear he could use a sara steady or a rotunda (google them) or a frame. OH has just progressed from a hoist to a rotunda after having private physio because he lost all mobility after 12 weeks in hospital and the physio dept. basically wrote him off. I am his second carer and the care company was quite happy for me to help with the hoist. If your father can't weight bear I believe it would have to be a hoist. All the equipment OH has was supplied free and I'm sure OH has more than most hospitals! :p

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
Thank you @TNJJ and @RosettaT! Looks like I had completely the wrong end of the stick so I'm glad I asked. :) Rosetta, I'm so chuffed that your dad's physio worked so well! It must make him feel loads better to be able to have more movement again!

I think Dad's soon to be beyond a sara steady or rotunda. My worry about the hoist is that Dad will get aggressive and not want to co-operate. Is it the kind of thing you can still use if he's being difficult? Thank you!

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
Hi I can tell you what happened in my home,mum lost mobility very quickly and then had to have a hospital bed at home that's paid for by the LA it made life a lot easier,at that time she started to have 4 care visits,the beds are good as they can be angled,we have a hoist that the carers use to transfer mum to a recliner,mum is oblivious to this so doesn't mind.I hope Dad will surprise you and not mind it,if you have good carers coming in they will be used to any frustrated clients and will have ways to help do things that put the person at ease
So just letting you know there are options for care at home that work very well and make life easier.
Mum and I have a good laugh with the carers and I look forward to seeing them,mum has a bed wash in the morning and always smells fresh.
Has Dad ever been seen by the continence team for incontience pants as they are prescribed?barrier creams are prescribed too and cleaning products for bottom etc

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Thank you @TNJJ and @RosettaT! Looks like I had completely the wrong end of the stick so I'm glad I asked. :) Rosetta, I'm so chuffed that your dad's physio worked so well! It must make him feel loads better to be able to have more movement again!

I think Dad's soon to be beyond a sara steady or rotunda. My worry about the hoist is that Dad will get aggressive and not want to co-operate. Is it the kind of thing you can still use if he's being difficult? Thank you!
I thought my dad was beyond the Sara steady for a while to be honest.But the carers Have kept him walking even if it is around the house.

The carers will be used to people being agitated with the hoist .But ,if it gets too much and it is beyond being safe your dad may need to have his meds reviewed by the GP.
Your dad may be better with an “in-situ” sling.This is better for people who get agitated as it keeps them enclosed.A bit like a cocoon.But he will be assessed properly by the OT.
You may need a commode as well ,if you do not have a big bathroom.
I have one with wheels on for dad..Easier to move.I hope this helps you .:)

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
@witts1973 @TNJJ Hi, thank you so much for taking the time to reply! Not sure how but I missed your replies earlier. Still getting the hang of this forum. Witts- that's really good to know that there are in-home options that work well.

TNJJ - will look up the in situ sling, thank you! He's just really aggressive at the moment when it comes to anything to do with his toilet. The docs have tried a couple of meds but for some reason they don't seem to work. The first prescription actually made him more agitated and angry :( We'll continue to work with the docs but it's just really tough on mum at the moment.

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
@witts1973 @TNJJ Hi, thank you so much for taking the time to reply! Not sure how but I missed your replies earlier. Still getting the hang of this forum. Witts- that's really good to know that there are in-home options that work well.

TNJJ - will look up the in situ sling, thank you! He's just really aggressive at the moment when it comes to anything to do with his toilet. The docs have tried a couple of meds but for some reason they don't seem to work. The first prescription actually made him more agitated and angry :( We'll continue to work with the docs but it's just really tough on mum at the moment.

Thats ok my dear,mum has has a visiting optician,hair dresser,chiropodst,I found it easier when we managed to get visits from the community nurse as I could get extra advice and a shoulder to lean on,they even said to me to ring them if I needed any advice,this was handy as obviously it's not easy to get hold of someone from the GPs a lot of the time,the community nurse will visit the same day if they can but at least by the next day,they ordered and an air cushion for mums recliner and gel pads for her bed to help prevent sores.