Confused: the council give mum money but they take some back?

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
I have discovered what the problem is - the council have assessed mum for the temporary respite care she had!!!! I cannot believe that all this paperwork has gone into this - just temporary care! So, the care manager has now contacted them again to do a financial assessment for long term care - dementia is not short term now is it? It's frustrating and maddening! The council are quite curt in their emails too...
So let's see what happens next.
So, for short term care funding, they don't take outgoings into consideration but for long term they do. Apparently.

I rang them ( funding assessment team) direct & found they were empathetic & lovely, always happy to help explain

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
I have discovered what the problem is - the council have assessed mum for the temporary respite care she had!!!! I cannot believe that all this paperwork has gone into this - just temporary care! So, the care manager has now contacted them again to do a financial assessment for long term care - dementia is not short term now is it? It's frustrating and maddening! The council are quite curt in their emails too...
So let's see what happens next.
So, for short term care funding, they don't take outgoings into consideration but for long term they do. Apparently.
Gosh,it doesn't make any sense does it

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
No continually getting letters that contradict each other... it’s now just me shrugging & saying well last time I spoke to them they told me to ignore the next letter!!
So I am!!

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
Cazzita, I hope you can resolve this. Our council were also very curt and loath to put much into writing, which considering they were doing a financial assessment (which they got wrong, twice - once with someone else's name!) is pretty bad. What I am saying is, you have to challenge - it isn't you, its them, in my experience.
Sending hugs - bureacracy is awful....

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
Cazzita, I hope you can resolve this. Our council were also very curt and loath to put much into writing, which considering they were doing a financial assessment (which they got wrong, twice - once with someone else's name!) is pretty bad. What I am saying is, you have to challenge - it isn't you, its them, in my experience.
Sending hugs - bureacracy is awful....

Hugs received thankfully. I am sick of it and to make it all worse, the bank, who shall remain unnamed but who have terrible reviews online (and no wonder) where I have mum's council money to pay the care bills have raised a security flag on that account so I can't pay anyone! I am SOOOOO frustrated, angry and stressed out today and have spent over an hour holding on the bloody phone and when I finally, finally got through to security and began to speak, the line went dead. I waited over 25 minutes - twice! So, I can't even use the money and feel like running away! Bureacracy stinks! x

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Why cannot the rules be simply and clearly explained, set as a right and applicable to all counties on this small island.

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
Why cannot the rules be simply and clearly explained, set as a right and applicable to all counties on this small island.
I don't know, you really couldn't make it up! Who even thinks of all this rubbish and convolution? :(

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
I don't know, you really couldn't make it up! Who even thinks of all this rubbish and convolution? :(

I totally agree, had an email from the social worker now saying Mum is self funding; but a letter from the social worker saying they will fund an amount!!!!

My inner jukebox is playing “ crazy” by Patsy Kline!!!!!

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I feel your frustration! I had a call from a company who is to replace the care that has been given by the post hospital team. They will assess on Tuesday.
This was the first I had heard about it.
There has been no financial assessment for home care only an out of date one for respite. At that time I was award a Direct Payment that I never got because two departments could not decide who should pay it.

This time the case worker has returned from holiday, I presume, but emails have bounced. She and another I spoke to are only in the office/work Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday.
I shall have to get on to the help desk. I will not sign or agree to anything on Tuesday until I know.

I tried to contact an emergency care organisation. I let the phone ring for 28mins yesterday, no rely. Just music.
This was the number given for an emergency sitter. Fortunately it was not a life or death situation, just to cover a medical appointment.

I have refused a contactless debit card, the bank said I could change it after the unwanted card had been issued. The unwanted one came which I destroyed as advised but now I have two others arrive with different numbers.
My reason was that once money was taken too soon much to the cashier and my surprise. I feel with so many people in and out of our once private home there is a risk with contactless I do not want to have to deal with.

All this steals time I cannot afford. Yes the world has gone completely mad! Modern technology is failing to keep its promise, I fear. More means but less communication.

Anyone want to invest in homing pigeons an a abacus? That may be the next best thing?

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
I feel your frustration! I had a call from a company who is to replace the care that has been given by the post hospital team. They will assess on Tuesday.
There has been no financial assessment for home care only an out of date one for respite. At that time I was award a Direct Payment that I never got because two departments could not decide who should pay it.

This time the case worker has returned from holiday, I presume, but emails have bounced. She and another I spoke to are only in the office/work Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday.
I shall have to get on to the help desk. I will not sign or agree to anything on Tuesday until I know.

I tried to contact an emergency care organisation. I let the phone ring for 28mins yesterday, no rely. Just music.
This was the number given for an emergency sitter. Fortunately it was not a life or death situation, just to cover a medical appointment.

I have refused a contactless debit card, the bank said I could change it after the unwanted card had been issued. The unwanted one came which I destroyed as advised but now I have two others arrive with different numbers.
My reason was that once money was taken too soon much to the cashier and my surprise. I feel with so many people in and out of our once private home there is a risk with contactless I do not want to have to deal with.

All this steals time I cannot afford. Yes the world has gone completely mad! Modern technology is failing to keep its promise, I fear. More means but less communication.

Anyone want to invest in homing pigeons an a abacus? That may be the next best thing?

Have the pigeons already, pigeon family nest every year below my window- & now have a garden full of semi tame pigeons !!

As for the abacus - finger counting I find is more reliable than the continuous changing in amounts we are quoted!

Husband thought it was me being a klutz as the contradicting letters he believed to be my fault..... “ you must have given them the wrong information” he once told me! So he took over the financial correspondence.......

No I haven’t quoted that one back at him, but I do have to leave the room & chuckle at his disbelief & frustration in this system.

I am lucky that I have someone to share this burden, but I know after years of battling it how utterly exhausting & wearing it is.

As for people giving the wrong email addresses & telephone numbers - I just ring the main switch board now & ask to speak to the head of the team I can’t get through to; after explaining my life’s history to them I find that they are really helpful & I get a direct dial number!

This even works with BT!!

(((((((((((((((((big hugs))))))))))))))))))))

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
I totally agree, had an email from the social worker now saying Mum is self funding; but a letter from the social worker saying they will fund an amount!!!!

My inner jukebox is playing “ crazy” by Patsy Kline!!!!!

How ridiculous - they clearly don't communicate with each other or have any idea what they are doing! What a fine mess! Love that song and so appropriate right now :)

Cazzita

May 12, 2018

OMG, you really couldn't make this up! What makes this all worse for us all is that we are dealing with a PWD too, or are one. Where is the compassion and 'care'. CARE is a four letter word these days that doesn;t seem to mean much to authorities :(

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
Have the pigeons already, pigeon family nest every year below my window- & now have a garden full of semi tame pigeons !!

As for the abacus - finger counting I find is more reliable than the continuous changing in amounts we are quoted!

Husband thought it was me being a klutz as the contradicting letters he believed to be my fault..... “ you must have given them the wrong information” he once told me! So he took over the financial correspondence.......

No I haven’t quoted that one back at him, but I do have to leave the room & chuckle at his disbelief & frustration in this system.

I am lucky that I have someone to share this burden, but I know after years of battling it how utterly exhausting & wearing it is.

As for people giving the wrong email addresses & telephone numbers - I just ring the main switch board now & ask to speak to the head of the team I can’t get through to; after explaining my life’s history to them I find that they are really helpful & I get a direct dial number!

This even works with BT!!

(((((((((((((((((big hugs))))))))))))))))))))

Good idea and big hugs back! x

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonetti