Distressing to watch

hrh

Sep 16, 2017
Hello all,
It has been a while since my last post, simply because I'm finding mum in laws decline distressing at times. We had take mil away for a few days mainly for my husband and I to scatter dad's ashes in his and mum's favourite seaside place, although mum did enjoy herself, she wasn't really aware of where she was, all I can say is that mum enjoyed the moments in the presence if that makes sense, both myself and hubby, came to the conclusion that mum either had another tia or water infection.
We returned home and back to the CH at 6 o'clock in the evening, I told the duty manager about the weekend and our suspicion about a tia or water infection.
The duty manager asked the carers to make sure a water sample was collected first thing the next day for the doctors.
On the Wednesday we got a call from the CH to say mum was found lying on the floor having fell over, her pressure mat had been disconnected so had kay there for a while. The ambulance was called and she taken to hospital, where it turns out she had a temperature and serious water infection, also a broken wrist. Ps she didn't receive any pain medication whilst in there even being asked to give it, another story.
So mum was put in a splint, given antibiotics to start immediately.
Now today, 3 weeks later the spark what was there had gone, she no longer wants to get out of bed, no longer wants to interact with anyone, sometimes not even family, she seems to have gone down hill, this is what is distressing to see, so not sure if it is another stage in the dementia or her being depressed as she says she is in prison.
We have asked the home to make sure mum has regular pain relief as she can't ask for it herself.

Sorry for long post.

H.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Sorry you are having a hard time hrh. A UTI and a broken wrist are a lot to contend with when you are a bit younger and healthier, so its not surprising your mum is so down and struggling so badly. Sorry I can't really offer much advice or answers.