Ideas for TV programs for PWDs

Roseleigh

Dec 26, 2016
I thought it would be helpful if ppl can put the most popular viewing here:

"I changed to Tom and Jerry after a bit and he liked that too. The programmes kept him amused for longer than usual which is better than sitting dozing. I have also tried Laurel and Hardy but he took some of it seriously so only look at that sparingly. I guess it’s finding what presses the right buttons."

"Its very hard to find suitable TV. He still likes football, though has lost interest in other sport he used to love, will also watch some wildlife stuff David Attenborough and so on, and doesnt mind Mrs Browns Boys which he thought idiotic before dementia ."

Fishgirl

Sep 9, 2019
My OH likes the war documentary’s on the yesterday channel don't know why he’s so obsessed because he’wasn’t even born then, mind you I’m beginning to feel as though I lived through every minute of it! Still it keeps him quiet for a while:)

Roseleigh

Dec 26, 2016
Mine used to love Midsommer Murders until a few months ago. I tried one again recently and it scared him. He sometimes thinks ppl on TV are laughing at him too.

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
My mum really enjoyed The Durrell's, especially Louisa, the Keeley Hawes character.
She gets the giggles when You've Been Framed is on, but her real pleasure comes from watching TV with other people, she will never sit and watch TV on her own.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
My OH likes You've Been Framed, Doc Martin, most documentaries about WW2 and wild life and will sit and watch the news all day, tho' I'm not sure he understands all that is going on. In the main he is content with tv.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
My dad used to like the “Back in Time for...” series on the BBC. He used to get quite chatty while it was on. Often asking me if I remembered things from before I was born :rolleyes:.

It was lovely to see him so engaged with the program and I used to just say “yes” or “tell me about it”.
A real conversation starter at a time when dad was losing that skill.

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
Tried ‘Only fools and horses’ today and although he watched it he didn’t seem to get the jokes. But he did laugh at the obvious things. It’s trial and error as we go along.

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
Do you have a DVD player? My father enjoys all the old musicals which are really easy to get hold of, Oklahoma, the Sound of music he still remembers the songs and sings along. X

Littlebear

Jan 6, 2017
Devon
Death in Paradise is my OH's favourite - it's on Netflix. I think it's the location he likes as sadly he can no longer follow a story. Other than that quiz, nature & property programs, anything really that doesn't need any concentration.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My OH loves The Repair Shop and things like Grand Designs. He is enjoying the current series on the Tower of London

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
C still watches nature programmes, but the noise they call background music gets a bit much for her some days. Same goes for anything about the planets. Usually after watching she gets excited and muddled so it can take an hour afterwards to settle her down. It is good to see her alive and trying to engage with the world in the way she used to though.
As with Rosserk's dad the old musicals are always a winner however many times I show them. 'The King and I' and 'My Fair Lady' are favourites.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
We have cable through Virgin and so can record up to 6 channels at once which my OH is very adept at. The main channels for her are Drama and ITV 3 as they play all the old series repeats such as Corrie and Eastenders. These and any others that transmit repeats from the shows of her yesteryear are recorded and watched which for her is perfect but for me a form of torture but hey ho, that’s life.

fortune

Sep 12, 2014
Mum got fixated on Monkey World for several months. Now she hates tv, can't follow it and too noisy.

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
My mum loves the musicals too; like a lot of PWD, music and songs are well and truly lodged in the music department in her noggin! Play a song and not only will she name that tune but also sing-a-long. What always makes me smile is if we have put on an a musical - the other day it was My Fair Lady, mum (89 years young with AZ) comment's on how old-fashioned the film is!

This is the bit I don't understand, although she was a classically trained pianist, once she married and started a family, her piano playing was put aside.
As a child I have no memory of mum taking any particular interest in the music of the 50's, 60's or 70's; she never ever sang along to the radio (although regularly joined in with Hymns of Praise on a Sunday) it is as if she was secretly absorbing the lyrics because she can recall the words once the music starts.

And it isn't just music memories that remain, mum comes out with great chunks of poetry from time to time, which leaves us gobsmacked. She recites the lines and I Google them for the whole poem.

Am I under-educated, or will I too astound my family with Yeats and Samuel Taylor Coleridge etc when I reach the dementia years?

The brain is truly an organ of mystery (at least mum's is), our motto is 'expect the unexpected'.

Roseleigh

Dec 26, 2016
We have cable through Virgin and so can record up to 6 channels at once which my OH is very adept at. The main channels for her are Drama and ITV 3 as they play all the old series repeats such as Corrie and Eastenders. These and any others that transmit repeats from the shows of her yesteryear are recorded and watched which for her is perfect but for me a form of torture but hey ho, that’s life.

Have you got your own TV you can watch while she enjoys her repeats?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ResearchGal1