Care homes - what is a reasonable distance from family?

Xeenies

May 19, 2014
Hi, does anyone know legally what is a reasonable distance from family that LA can place someone in? I live in Hove, Mum in Shoreham. We want Dad someone in Hove, particularly as Dads planning to move there, but LA is suggesting somewhere in Littlehampton could meet Dads needs. There is no way we’d agree to Littlehampton. We wouldn’t be able to visit that much, we wouldn't be able to just pop in for a coffee. It would also severely restrict the ability of friends to visit and we therefore feel it would restrict Dads right to a family and community life and therefore not meet his needs.

Are there legal guidelines around this?

We are going to try to argue that they have to find somewhere closer, even if it’s more expensive.

Also would be very grateful for contacts for legal advice.

Thank you.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
Hi, does anyone know legally what is a reasonable distance from family that LA can place someone in? I live in Hove, Mum in Shoreham. We want Dad someone in Hove, particularly as Dads planning to move there, but LA is suggesting somewhere in Littlehampton could meet Dads needs. There is no way we’d agree to Littlehampton. We wouldn’t be able to visit that much, we wouldn't be able to just pop in for a coffee. It would also severely restrict the ability of friends to visit and we therefore feel it would restrict Dads right to a family and community life and therefore not meet his needs.

We are going to try to argue that they have to find somewhere closer, even if it’s more expensive.

Thank you.
I'm not sure there is any legal precedent regarding this and I'm sure other posters will be along soon, however as I used to live in Hove and go regularly to Littlehampton by car ,it's actually only about 15 to 20 miles. Obviously it may be a different matter on public transport. I'm not sure the local authority would consider 15 miles to be excessive

Last edited:

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
I'm not sure there is any legal precedent regarding this and I'm sure other posters will be along soon, however as I used to live in Hove and go regularly to Littlehampton by car ,it's actually only about 15 miles. I'm not sure the local authority would consider 15 miles to be excessive

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019

Thank you.

Hi I live in the midlands and my father was sectioned under the mental health Act so his care home was fully funded. We were consulted about where we would like him to go. I think it’s normal to consult the family and they won’t insist on him going somewhere you object to.

Have you got a care home in mind who will accept your father? They will send someone to assess his needs and see if they can take him. Talk to the care home you prefer and they will explain how it works and make the arrangements, that is of course if it’s the same in your area but the care Homes will have experience dealing with similar situations. X

Xeenies

May 19, 2014
Hi I live in the midlands and my father was sectioned under the mental health Act so his care home was fully funded. We were consulted about where we would like him to go. I think it’s normal to consult the family and they won’t insist on him going somewhere you object to.

Have you got a care home in mind who will accept your father? They will send someone to assess his needs and see if they can take him. Talk to the care home you prefer and they will explain how it works and make the arrangements, that is of course if it’s the same in your area but the care Homes will have experience dealing with similar situations. X

Hi, we know they won’t insist on him going to places far away or even Littlehampton. But if they find a cheaper place there that can meet needs (Littlehampton also having cheaper properties) we are disadvantaged as placements in Hove are more expensive. We would want to argue that somewhere over half an hour away is too far but I guess that’s unlikely.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
I think they would say half an hour away isnt very far. First and foremost, their job is to meet his care needs, not the needs of his family and friends ( sorry that sounds harsh, I dont mean it to, thats just the way it is)

If they/you find somewhere nearer that is more expensive, as you prepared to pay the difference( A top up?)

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Is there somewhere near to you that will accept him?
If its only slighly above their their limit they may be willing to up their fees if you argue that that it will mean that fmily will be able to visit more often and will improve his social needs.

But with it being only half an hour away you are on somewhat shaky grounds.

Where I live I have to take OH to routine appointments at a hospital which is half an hour away from me and is in the same county as this is the hospitals catchment area.

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
Hi, we know they won’t insist on him going to places far away or even Littlehampton. But if they find a cheaper place there that can meet needs (Littlehampton also having cheaper properties) we are disadvantaged as placements in Hove are more expensive. We would want to argue that somewhere over half an hour away is too far but I guess that’s unlikely.

Have you found a care home close by that you like? Give them a call or go and visit. I had a similar problem with the LA saying they were sending dad to a particular home which I didn’t want. I went to another care home and explained the problem and they agreed to take him and match the fee for the home chosen by LA. You do have rights and the LA will try and work with you. The care home you choose will do an assessment on your father and check they can meet his needs at the cost the LA is prepared to pay. The care home my dads in was more expensive but they had lots of spare places so we’re happy to take dad. Don’t be pushed around you and your father have rights. I think half hour drive is unacceptable if there are closer homes. X

notsogooddtr

Jul 2, 2011
Half an hour is not unreasonable if the care home is the one that can best meet the person's needs.Be aware that if your Dad is going to be funded by the LA cost is an important facto,they are having to make very little money go a very long way

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Distance alone is not the problem. The question of how and when come into it too. Whether the family is young or old, transport or not. Short frequent visits are more useful and kinder.
Whether the council is taking a person's right to a family life.
I do not think it is just distance.