Help with the toilet

Whisperer

Mar 27, 2017
Southern England
Hoping someone can come up with a helpful suggestion. My mum has no toileting problem as regards incontinence. The problem is she has the odd trouble getting off the toilet, usually when going to bed. I suspect a large part of this is tiredness. There are hand rails but my mum seems unable or reluctant to use these. I have to lift her off these circumstances. The ironic thing is she goes during the night and has no problem getting herself up. Are there any other aides I can consider? I work two 6 hour night shifts a week having given up full time work to care for my mum. I do not want to lose my one real contact with the outside world, but I could not leave my mum potentially stuck on a toilet for hours during the night. Hope someone can offer up a solution. Thank you for reading this thread.

CardiffGirlInEssex

Oct 6, 2018
When you mention hand rails, are these fixed to the wall, or are they the "chair arms" type that fit either side of the toilet? My parents both find this latter type very useful. They are more to help push yourself up, like getting up from a chair.

Whisperer

Mar 27, 2017
Southern England
The
When you mention hand rails, are these fixed to the wall, or are they the "chair arms" type that fit either side of the toilet? My parents both find this latter type very useful. They are more to help push yourself up, like getting up from a chair.
handrails are fixed to the wall. Pleased can you advise the manufacturer of the rails you mention. My mum can get out of her armchair using hand rails she can push down on. What you describe sounds like a good solution to my problem. Thank you for taking the time to reply to my thread. Hope to hear from you soon.

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
We had the frame that fits around the toilet for Mum, (think it came from Amazon as it was cheaper than through a mobility shop) - google toilet frames and they should come up. The legs on them were able to be heightened or lowered to suit, you may find that if you have an OT they may be able to get you one

Anon33

Jul 28, 2019
We had a toilet frame from from OT. It is a brilliant solution...But both my parents still prefer to hang onto the hand basin! The frame tucks neatly around the base of the toilet although if the toilet space is tight you might need to measure. It compromised the space a little and meant the door couldn’t be shut. Since we made the wet room there is plenty of space.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Our toilet was too narrow for a frame so I had two handrails fitted on the wall. They are a permanent fixture now, because if removed would leave screw holes on the tiles but they helped my husband so much it was worth it.

They now help elderly friends who visit

They were fitted by Social Services when they fitted grab rails in the hall and by the back and front doors.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ResearchGal1