Crying and scared

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
Hi all my mum is extremely scared and crying all the time. It’s really distressing to see and she must be tormented. Nothing I say or do seems to help and seeing her so distressed all the time is really difficult. Any ideas how to help would be greatly appreciated? Are there any medications I can get from the GP that could help lift her mood or is this just another symptom she has to live with?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
That must be very distressing @Rosserk
Yes there is medication - usually either antidepressants, or antipsychotics. Get her GP to refer her to the Community Psychiatric Team, who will come out and assess her.

In the meantime try distraction rather than comforting her - find something else for her to think about rather than all her woes. Comforting often doesnt work and often simply fans the flames by reinforcing that there is something to be frightened of. Im not saying dont give her a hug and tell her that there is nothing to worry about, but dont spend a long time comforting.

PatAnn

Mar 6, 2019
Yes there is medication - usually either antidepressants, or antipsychotics. Get her GP to refer her to the Community Psychiatric Team, who will come out and assess her.

In the meantime try distraction rather than comforting her - find something else for her to think about rather than all her woes. Comforting often doesnt work and often simply fans the flames by reinforcing that there is something to be frightened of. Im not saying dont give her a hug and tell her that there is nothing to worry about, but dont spend a long time comforting.

PatAnn

Mar 6, 2019
Hi depression seems to play a big part in this illness my husband also was crying and distressed he was given a anti depressant by his doctor and it has seemed to work do go to your GP I'm sure it will help

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019

Excellent advice thank you! I made the mistake of comforting her and you’re right it made her worse! It’s obvious now you’ve pointed it out that comforting them only confirms there’s a problem.

I will give the doctor a call and see about some medication. Kindest regards x

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
Hi depression seems to play a big part in this illness my husband also was crying and distressed he was given a anti depressant by his doctor and it has seemed to work do go to your GP I'm sure it will help
Hi thanks for taking them time to respond it’s reassuring others have had similar experiences. I am going to request some medication. X