I'm reviewing the situation

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
I was interviewed this morning by a lady from the council who was doing the annual commissioner's inspection visit at my wife's care home. I was aware that she was going today and would want to talk to relatives if any were present. I was happy to oblige.

She asked a few questions but mainly was happy to give me free rein to set out the situation as I have seen it progress since my wife's admission 4 months ago. What I said about the staff, the activities, the overall atmosphere and the level of respectful and personalised care was largely positive. Highlights include the special events such as the barbecue and the musical afternoon, and the opportunities for my wife to go out to the nearby cafe and for walks in the local area. Of as much importance is the time that staff spend chatting to and getting to know the residents, encouraging them to be as independent as possible, and being there to provide support when needed.

Asked if I had needed to make any complaints, I mentioned a couple of minor issues that had been dealt with by raising them politely with the staff. I would much rather work positively with the staff to ensure my wife's welfare but, if a major issue did arise that could not be solved otherwise, I would not hesitate in taking it further.

It is a small place so it has been easy for all of the staff to get to know me as well as my wife and respond to both her needs and mine. When there have been downturns such as my wife's habit of flooding toilets and bathrooms, her flat out refusal to get undressed for bed, her resistance to personal care, and the need to call on the behavioural support team to deal with her aggression, I have been kept informed and involved. It is never plain sailing with dementia, but I feel that my wife has a proper home where she is treated with dignity, well looked after and very well fed. There really isn't much more that I could hope for at this stage of her disease.

After the interview the manager reappeared and I gave her a quick run down of what I had said to the council lady and my wife's current behaviour and moods. It did not surprise me that the manager was fully informed already and could talk with authority about my wife's recent medication change.

It was rather pleasing when she told me that I am now considered as one of the family. It must be those lovely biscuits that have swung things in my favour!

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Classy@1951