Are lockable gas taps safe to use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greyone

Sep 11, 2013
UK
I have read in several posts about lockable taps to stop gas cookers being used except by competent people (having access to the key).

I am considering using one of these when we buy a new gas cooker, but i would be very interested to hear comments from any member who has a practical knowledge of this device. Are they really very easy and safe to use, is there a downside to them at all ?

I am also considering an electric cooker but would need to have additional power and other safety precautions installed if the gas cooker option does not work out.

THX to all in advance.

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
I have read in several posts about lockable taps to stop gas cookers being used except by competent people (having access to the key).

I am considering using one of these when we buy a new gas cooker, but i would be very interested to hear comments from any member who has a practical knowledge of this device. Are they really very easy and safe to use, is there a downside to them at all ?

I am also considering an electric cooker but would need to have additional power and other safety precautions installed if the gas cooker option does not work out.

THX to all in advance.

Following recommendation on TP we got one of these fitted to mum's cooker. Seems to work fine, gas fitter was confident that it was safe and care agency approved it for their staff to use to prepare meals for mum. Would have been a great solution but sadly mum had a fall and UTI since when she has been unable to return home and do we haven't used it for long. Still as we will be going back and forth to her house it will be better than having no cooker when we're there.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
The only danger is that the authorised user is not trained to ensure everything supplied by the lockable tap or switch is switched off before the tap or switch is operated and then be vigilant until the supply has been disconnected again and all hot surfaces allowed to cool.

For electric cookers you can get >>>LOCKABLE ISOLATORS<<< but there may be a simpler and potentially DIY approach.
If you have something like >>>THIS<<<you should be able to source a suitable lockable cover like >>>THIS<<< Covers for other shapes of controllers are available.

Note these plastic covers are not that strong and can be forced open using kitchen utensils, although an isolator could be unscrewed it can be fitted using suitable >>>SECURITY SCREWS<<<

Greyone

Sep 11, 2013
UK
Hi Pickles53
Thanks for the confidence boost. I'm glad you mentioned about the care agency approval because i hadn't though of that. Although i would have suggested they stick to our microwave. Many thanks.

Greyone

Sep 11, 2013
UK
Hi Nitram

Many thanks for the warning about the gas tap, although i'm planning on using it for just the cooker. i am going to look seriously into the possibility for using an electric cooker because the gas system relies on the competent person managing things as you describe and i think i will always have some doubt in the back of my mind. Someone also suggested the possibility of using a timer switch for double cover.

You've certainly given me food for thought. Thx.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Don't forget some small electric cookers will run of the ring main (normal socket outlet).

"Someone also suggested the possibility of using a timer switch for double cover."

For a full size oven you will most likely need both the timer and a contactor.

I don't like the idea of a timer. Many disasters are caused when two things go wrong, in this case it might be that the person who was going to use the cooker failed to arrive and the person being cared for decided it was meal time and started using the cooker.

EDIT
Just had another thought about a lockable switch on an electric cooker.

When disconnected some cookers refuse to work when reconnected before a time is set on the timer, it obviously need not be the correct time but one has to be set..

Last edited:

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
Hi Pickles53
Thanks for the confidence boost. I'm glad you mentioned about the care agency approval because i hadn't though of that. Although i would have suggested they stick to our microwave. Many thanks.

There was a microwave too but mum really disliked the ready meals we got delivered, so the idea was for the carers to make her some simple things like bacon & egg which she did like.

pmailkeey

Aug 8, 2014
Hi,

Why do you want lockable gas taps ? Total prevention of use or prevention of unlit gas being left on ?

I don't think you'll easily find a new cooker that will allow unlit gas to be left on.

Look for a gas cooker with electronic controls of some kind - for a 'child lock' feature - then study the operation of this feature as it may be too simple !

See: MMM.very.co.uk/new-world-si550dom-55cm-double-oven-gas-cooker-silver/654102526.prd" supposedly has a child lock - but can't find info in MMM.newworld.co.uk/media/508256/NW550TSIDOm.pdf instruction manual!

Change the M's to doubleyous to get the links.

It depends exactly what your safety issue is to be able to suggest 'best advice' - well, ideas at least !

Last edited by a moderator:

Greyone

Sep 11, 2013
UK
Mum actually likes the micro meals we do. She likes everything withboiled potatoes and where possible gray. So one day we have Wall micro sausages, Weds= fish the the bag with parsley sauce, thursdays is cottage pie, friday is chicken and bacon.

Insomniac

Apr 29, 2014
We had a keypad fitted on the wall next to mums gas cooker. You need a four digit code to enable use and another code to disable use. Very easy. Means mum can't accidentally switch it on - and she wouldn't use it for anything else anyway - but care workers and family can use it. This was organised through our Social Worker along with a number of other telecare safety devices at a charge of about £7 a week. May be free if you qualify.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Greyone

Sep 11, 2013
UK
Thanks for all that info. Let me start by just saying that because my sister and I live with our mother, we dont think having only a microwave is a good idea, so our choice of 2nd appliance is to have either a gas or electric cooker (50" Wide).
I should also say that until we had our last gas cooker disconnected mum could cook on a good day but not on a bad day and that's when the gas would be left on and sometimes when she was not herself she would just put the gas on and wander off.

Admittedly i have yet to see a new gas cooker in use, but am wondering at the moment if in practical terms they can ever be safe enough. If maybe turning on all the gas jets several times and then trying light it may cause an explosion just because of the build up of small amounts of gas.

But the bottom line is that i honestly believe that life would be simpler for us (give us peace of mind) and for our mother knowing she would not have to worry about using the cooker and trying to cope with problems. If we relied on a lockable tap rather than just cooker tchnology. Thinking just about the cut of for the glass lid, i wonder how i would feel if this became temperimental and these things can do over time. It a family where all were safe to use the cooker , i may say "We'll all have to be carefull", but in a family such as ours now, that would be unacceptable, so having the lockable tap would essential.

I have to admit my biggest problem is my own peace of mind and having confidence in the cookers own safety features.

You have however inspired me to look very deeply at any safety feature including child locks. I had a chat about that very cooker and the information is not that clear about the auto shut off so they gave me an email address to write and ask questions.

Currently my choice of cooker is no more than 50" wide with one oven 4 rings and eye level grill.

Thanks for all of you information.

Greyone

Sep 11, 2013
UK
I appreciate what you say aout two things going wrong. Since we have a microwave , that should be enough for the carers to use and I can forget about the timer. Thanks for the word of caution.

Greyone

Sep 11, 2013
UK
Now that is what i call very interesting. I have heard about telecare but have not yet looked into it in any great detail. That is something i will do as part of my investigation.

I'm assuming you have the telephone system which alerts a control room for any problems.Are you able to tell me if your keypad sends any sort of alert or do you rely on the gas sensor for that ?

Insomniac

Apr 29, 2014
To be honest, not entirely sure. My main concern was that she shouldn't use the cooker and as she doesn't know the code she can't. Think it may be hooked up with heat sensors too. There's also a sensor at the door so if she goes out after a certain time someone would speak to her from the control centre. They also gave us a pendant alarm for falls but she wont wear it. Thought she could just wear it when she went to bed?!

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Greyone

Sep 11, 2013
UK
Thanks for the additional info .i'll have a word with our local Telecare people some time. I appreciate what your saying about the keypad and it may be easier than on/off with a key because keys can be lost.
Thank you.

James B

Sep 15, 2019
A company called Cadent install lockable gas taps for the use of carers. They need to be fitted into an suitable cupboard. These are completely free complete with fitting and come with two keys, it takes less than an hour to fit. If an electric hob is to be brought I would suggest an Induction hob that needs special saucepans it is safer, quicker, and cheaper to run than gas. Has child lock-out features etc.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
A company called Cadent install lockable gas taps for the use of carers.

Cadent are a regional gas transmission company, one of the companies that took over from National Grid, other companies have similar arrangements.

A problem with induction hobs is that they remain hot after pan is removed, only sign that they are hot is usually a small indicator lamp. Also no protection against 'chip pan fire ' events.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @James B
a warm welcome to DTP

just to let you know that this thread dates from 2014 ... you can check the date of the last post on a thread by looking at the top left of the text box

maybe start a thread of your own, and members will join in

Status
Not open for further replies.