Support for carers when elderly wife has dementia

HerefordBull

Sep 14, 2019
Hello All,
I’m a new on here and would appreciate any help as regards what support can be provided for my 82 year old Dad whose caring for my elderly Mum whose in the first stages of dementia. There’s lots of websites, all very fluffy and colourful but i’m struggling to find something informative regarding organisations that can provide practical help, particularly for my Dad either for respite or practical support in any shape or form. I have heard that Age UK may be a good starting point, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Delilah63

Jan 4, 2018
It is really hard sometimes to sift through the acres of lovely info you are given, none of which seems to lead to anything for than more info at times. My dad has deteriorted significantly this last 2 weeks and..at the end of my tether, i was given a really comprehensive and straightforward booklet by age uk that explained more clearly where to start.
I have just contacted social services to ask for a care needs assessment for my dad and a carers assessment for my mum. It takes time so if possible, start the process as soon as you can.
Best wishes..this is a horrible time, stressful and worrying, but you are not alone. Good luck

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hullo and welcome to DTP @HerefordBull. Delilah's advice is sound and gettignthe carers assessment and care needs assessment would be the first place to start. http://carers.org will take you to your nearest care support centre who can point you to carers groups. I find those to be helpful as you speak to people in the same situation and who can recommend services from personal experience. I found my partner's day centre that way. Saying that, she did not settle too well in the first day centre, so sometimes you do have to try it and see if it turns out to be appropriate.
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you should help find something too.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
When my OH was diagnosed we were pretty much left on our own until I registered at our medical practice as his carer. They are a dementia friendly practice and that seemed to open up the doors even tho' OH is self funding. The mental health nurse visited and accessed him, I got a carers assessment. Social services should come out to access your mum. If your mum is self funding you can have whatever care you want as many times a day as you please. If she isn't and she needs help then SS should sort out care visits for her and possible day center so your dad can get some time to himself.
Check she is getting Attendance Allowance tho' there is a qualifying period and she should also get council tax disregard.
AgeUK is good place to start and you can try googling for other organisations that may be in your area. Unfortunately they are very few and far between in our area.

Recent Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan