SS whilst in hospital!!

Lady M

Sep 15, 2018
Essex
Advice please, needed urgently....... before admission to hospital OH had 4visits 2 carers and was transferred with a rotaunder .as he was deteriorating I have tried to contact his SW to no avail , in desperation went back through duty manager.....no contact
OH has Been in hospital again for 11days now......no contact from hospital SS team .
Physios are saying he’s back to base line .....he is not!!!! Then they say hoisting possible etc!
Talk of ‘medicinally fit’ and community physio once OH home. Admiral nurse believes decline due to dementia worsting etc....
Help......should SS be aware and what do I do if I disagree with discharge home?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I would not accept your husband`s discharge, @LadyM until a care plan has been agreed. If your husband will need to be hoisted , I believe it will need two people.

Lady M

Sep 15, 2018
Essex
A quick update! After three weeks of a living nightmare OH medically fit(laugh) for discharge...I broke down on the phone when told!!!!!
However the following day he was unfit again due to another infection!
After my sons took over with SS , assessments etc I ( basically the therapy teams was a somewhat exaggeration of his capabilities!) was put in touch with Carers Support at the hospital! A true life saver. The lady concerned has listened, empathised, advised and helped me through meetings etc!
SS have promised the earth if he returns home plus community physio...residential care...or a temporary placement for six weeks with physio to try to return to base line of transfer with rotaunder and two., with a further review at the end of six weeks ! Maybe a permanent placement!
As of tonight OH has told our sons he wants to be part of an ongoing effort to improve his transferring abilities and will go to where he can have some extra care!
He may not agree tomorrow but as of now I can see some light for me ........I am dreading this journey...I am still stressed , shocked at so much and the thought of viewing ‘homes’ is filling me with fear! Also as the hospital will want his bed everything will have to be done at speed!
However, I have just re read my posts on TP I know I couldn’t carry on ........
Hoping for some strength to see me though this stage"..............

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Hi.What a nightmare!I have yet to have this journey with dad(2carers and a Sara steady at the moment)!Dreading it.Sending (((hugs))) .It is good you have your sons to help you..Lean on them...Let us know how you go.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
or a temporary placement for six weeks with physio to try to return to base line of transfer with rotaunder and two., with a further review at the end of six weeks ! Maybe a permanent placement!
It sounds like they are considering a reablement scheme. This is what mum had after a TIA. She went into a rehab/assessment bed in a local care home for 6 weeks and at the end there was a Best Interest meeting that I was invited to as well. At that meeting everyone discussed what would be best for mum and it was decided that a permanent placement would be best.