Confused: the council give mum money but they take some back?

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
he caseworker has contacted the financial assessment team (FAT!) and asked for some figures as she thinks mum pays too much too. I have also emailed them and told them how I feel so we will see...
That's interesting,when we were talking about things on this post the other day I thought it sounded a bit cobbled together in terms of what people are asked to pay and how much,I suppose they can make mistakes or perhaps it's done by design and things can be changed by appeal,when you say case worker is that a social worker?This is handy to know for the future if we have these problems,so did you ring them and query it saying you were surprised how little they were contributing?

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
Hi there, you have made yourself clear no worries, and yes, I did tell them about the Tena pants etc etc but they said they didn't take any outgoings into consideration except the council tax!! Incredible really :(

wow,I'm sure I had read that before,you feel like beating your head against a brick wall sometimes dont you

Jamesw46

Sep 11, 2019
Hello TP,
So, mum - 82 with FTD - is being cared for at home with carers x 3 per day.
The council have just awarded her some money (she is just under the lower threshold) towards her care which I will use to pay the carers and other care expenses. So far so good.
Have now received a letter from the council to say that mum now needs to contribute towards the cost of her community care services and they are asking me to set up a direct debit to pay most of it back!
I was feeling so relieved that she was now going to receive some help but now they are asking for most of it back! This can't be right can it? Why bother awarding her any money in the first place and why all this paperwork?
I already set up a new bank account for mum to have this money put into and I have to keep all the accounts etc and sent them in every 3 months to prove where the money goes.
I don't understand why they can't award one sum of money with one set of banking... or it it just me?
Any comments will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Cazzita x
Hi how far back did they ask to see bank statements for proof of finances? as I imagine they want to see if anyone has disposed of large sums of cash,I'm not sure how far back they go online,but I suppose I can make a journey to the bank to get the desired information when the time comes

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Hi how far back did they ask to see bank statements for proof of finances? as I imagine they want to see if anyone has disposed of large sums of cash,I'm not sure how far back they go online,but I suppose I can make a journey to the bank to get the desired information when the time comes
I was asked to get the past 3 months bank statements & have them certified by the bank manager( stamp & signature!)

ebas

Aug 8, 2019
I was asked to get the past 3 months bank statements & have them certified by the bank manager( stamp & signature!)
When my mum went into a nursing home last year social services needed 6 months worth of bank statements and her savings book.

Jamesw46

Sep 11, 2019
Thanks folks,I'm sure I had heard that sometimes an LA asks you to sign something that lets them speak to the bank and they do their own investigations,that was a new one on me,but perhaps it differs across the country

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
Hello James, I have no idea. They have mum's account details but they have not mentioned that they have looked - nothing to hide anyway :)

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
That's interesting,when we were talking about things on this post the other day I thought it sounded a bit cobbled together in terms of what people are asked to pay and how much,I suppose they can make mistakes or perhaps it's done by design and things can be changed by appeal,when you say case worker is that a social worker?This is handy to know for the future if we have these problems,so did you ring them and query it saying you were surprised how little they were contributing?

Hello @witts1973

I meant to say 'care manager' from social services. She is trying to be very helpful and is very frustrated herself at the way our 'care' system works...
I just emailed the care manager and she is phoning people on my behalf and getting back to me tomorrow. So far, I have noit touched one penny of the money 'awarded' ...

Jamesw46

Sep 11, 2019
Hello @witts1973

I meant to say 'care manager' from social services. She is trying to be very helpful and is very frustrated herself at the way our 'care' system works...
I just emailed the care manager and she is phoning people on my behalf and getting back to me tomorrow. So far, I have noit touched one penny of the money 'awarded' ...

Hi thanks it sounds a right hassle,did they ask for bank statements too?

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
I never really know what, where & when funding changes for Mum & Dad; I have a folder of letters & my mind boggles at it all!
So I accepted OH help with the finances & deal with everything else. I wish the system was clearer but as Adult needs assessments change so does the funding!
At least the adult social Services team are lovely to deal with.

Jamesw46

Sep 11, 2019
I have just found the council tax letters for this year,I had no idea it was so expensive,with no discounts it would have been £2,273and then it says Disregard(Severely mentally impaired and carer) £1,136 credit
Leaving £1,136. to pay
And then a further adjustment is made when a local council tax reduction is made halving the total again leaving £568 to pay
Don't raise your hopes folks as I believe it's not all as it seems when you read the literature online at face value
I have removed the pence from each total to slightly anonymize us So it looks as if there is a 50% reduction and then a further reduction of 50% of the remaining bill by the local authority which maybe a discretionary reduction I'm not sure.

looking on the citizens advice website I have copied this small passage

" If everyone who lives in the property is disregarded, there will still be a council tax bill, but there will be a 50 per cent discount."

Example 1: You are ‘severely mentally impaired’ and live in a property with your carer. You are both disregarded people. You are entitled to a 50 per cent discount on your council tax.

Last edited:

ebas

Aug 8, 2019
I have just found the council tax letters for this year,I had no idea it was so expensive,with no discounts it would have been £2,273and then it says Disregard(Severely mentally impaired and carer) £1,136 credit
Leaving £1,136. to pay
And then a further adjustment is made when a local council tax reduction is made halving the total again leaving £568 to pay
Don't raise your hopes folks as I believe it's not all as it seems when you read the literature online at face value
I have removed the pence from each total to slightly anonymize us So it looks as if there is a 50% reduction and then a further reduction of 50% of the remaining bill by the local authority which maybe a discretionary reduction I'm not sure.

looking on the citizens adice website I have copied this small passage

" If everyone who lives in the property is disregarded, there will still be a council tax bill, but there will be a 50 per cent discount."

Example 1: You are ‘severely mentally impaired’ and live in a property with your carer. You are both disregarded people. You are entitled to a 50 per cent discount on your council tax.
Leaving £1,136. to pay

looking on the citizens adice website I have copied this small passage

I am very confused about council tax rebate. My OH is disregarded. There is myself and my son living in the property. I am charged full council tax.If I tell the council I am my partners carer will I get a rebate?

Jamesw46

Sep 11, 2019
I am very confused about council tax rebate. My OH is disregarded. There is myself and my son living in the property. I am charged full council tax.If I tell the council I am my partners carer will I get a rebate?
Hi how old is your son?When I gave them a form saying that my mother had a smi I'm sure there was one that I filled in as a carer,did you do that?
You could ring up the council department or speak to citizens advice or AGE UK

Last edited:

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
Thanks so much, it's all a bit mad isn't it? I will call the council financial assessment team and get them to explain as it doesn't make sense. Mum is definitely just under the lower threshold now and has spent an absolute fortune on care. They don't want to give much back do they?
Will update when I get some information.
I wish you all the best with any aspect of the financial assessment process. Keep careful records at your end - our council didn't seem to know it's elbow from another body area in terms of how the process should work - so many mixed messages and mistakes on their part. Terrifying given the sums of money involved.
Some local voluntary groups offer free advice about these processes. If this exists in your area, it can be very helpful.