Benefits, debt and pension!

Joolie58

Jul 12, 2017
My husband has a diagnosis of Lewy Body Dementia , so when his health started to cause real problems rapidly for him being left on his own I gave my full time job up to become his Carer . In hindsight I wish that I had been able to take the time whilst in full time employment to sort out all our financial issues. Instead these have escalated since I left work and being on benefits have not had the disposable income to deal with them in fact using credit since not having a wage packet has compounded these debts further . I can no longer manage these debts it is making me ill with worry not just about my husband but about the constant demands for repayments . My husband is also aware and gets fixated about maybe one phone call he will have heard although he doesn’t know the full extent , he gets very distressed about what he does know . I need to put a stop to this now both for his sake and my own health that is being affected . I have talked to debt charitys but the process of getting free of these debts seems so long and protracted and I feel ashamed that having accrued the debt that they either attempt to rid you of paying your debt or you end up in a debt programme over a number of years . At 61 having worked all my life and now facing losing my husband to a very cruel illness I don’t want to be stuck in some programme I want to pay my debt so that we can concentrate on enjoying whatever time we have left and being able to provide my husband with the everyday things he needs to make him comfortable ( personal hygiene issues) . I have a deferred pension having come out of my works pension many years ago again because of financial issues caused by my previous partner. I want to claim this deferred pension ( which is not big enough to live on) but use the lump sum to rid us of the debts and to put a stop to the effect its having on our health . My concern is how will this affect the benefits we currently receive because the pension is very small ? , Will I still be entitled to a state pension when I reach my due age , ? Etc ....

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Hi.I too have given up work,but to look after my father.I took out my small pension and used it for debts (plus to pay for my funeral).For that month I did not get any benefits.But the following month I did......I am on Universal Credit now,as well as carer's allowance every week.I also only pay a little towards council tax as I also have council support......I will get a pension when I retire as my carers allowance pays towards my stamp..
I have also got new glasses and sorted out my dental treatment.You are entitled to a reduction as you are a carer...I hope this helps.

Joolie58

Jul 12, 2017
Hi.I too have given up work,but to look after my father.I took out my small pension and used it for debts (plus to pay for my funeral).For that month I did not get any benefits.But the following month I did......I am on Universal Credit now,as well as carer's allowance every week.I also only pay a little towards council tax as I also have council support......I will get a pension when I retire as my carers allowance pays towards my stamp..
I have also got new glasses and sorted out my dental treatment.You are entitled to a reduction as you are a carer...I hope this helps.
Thank you for your help x

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I am so sorry to hear of the added burden. No real advice just hugs to you both.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Why shouldn't you be entitled to a state pension?

With regards to reducing your debt, is your husband claiming Attendance Allowance and are you claiming Carers Allowance? Is he on the SMI council tax disregard?

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
Hi Joolie, I do sympathise. Debt is easy to get into and difficult to get out of. On a postive note, you do want to do something about it. I hope I'm not stepping on your toes by making some suggestions.
A few things that may help if you haven't done them already?...
Have you spoken to the companies concerned? I understand many are understanding and if you can manage to pay just a little each month they will stop pressuring you, so this should reduce a little of the stress.
Are you getting all the benefits you qualify for? Attendance allowance for your husband, carers allowance for yourself, this also counts towards your state pension, council tax disregard for your husband if he' s on AA are a few I know of directly connected to your situation but I'm not sure what else.
Have you checked you're are not paying more than you need to for gas & electric? Again there are websites to help you work out if you can save money in that area. There is also well known website that has tips and hints for managing finances, not sure if I am allowed to name it.
As far as I am aware you willl receive your pension, it is an entitlement. You may end lose some benefits, carers allowance for example but not AA.

Last edited:

charlie10

Dec 20, 2018
Hi @Joolie.....so sorry to hear you've got financial worries, as if being a carer isn't enough! Worrying about debts and the future can paralyse the mind and it's hard to think past it. Where I am (no longer in England) there are volunteer-run Family Budgeting Services, where someone will sit down with the client and go thro everything, and not only help with spending what money they have but also what else they can apply for....is there anything like this in your area? It might be part of Citizens'Advice services, so you could start by asking them. Just being able to talk everything thro with someone might help you see things more clearly, and you certainly won't be the only person with these problems thro no fault of their own! I do hope you can find someone to talk it over with and give you peace of mind, take care

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I don’t know how old your partner is but if he did National Service with one of the forces then one of the charities for veterans might help you with your debt problems. Look online if this is relevant as there are several.

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
You need to get a state pension forecast which will give you an indication of your pension and confirm what age you will receive it. I think a benefits check would be good as if you have claimed any means tested benefits then certainly taking the cash sum even to pay off debts, could effect any entitlement to benefits. You need good advice and you need to give them all the information so take any letters you have received to them.
Debt is awful, especially on top of everything else. It may be that these loan clearance schemes may be a way out. Be kind to yourself, the companies can afford for the odd person to pay late or not to pay interest.
Take care and look after yourself....I know it's not easy..,.we all advise it but few do it well.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Do get someone to check what benefits you can claim - Age UK or Citizens Advice will both do this

At the very least your OH should be getting Attendance Allowance (AA) if he is getting state pension, or Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and Employment Support Allowance (ESA) if he is under state pension age. Once he is getting either AA or PIP you can claim for Carers Allowance. None of these benefits are means tested. ESA will pay your OHs NI contributions and Carers Allowance will pay yours, so they are definitely worth applying for. If there is only the two of you living in the home it is worth applying for Council Tax disregard for your OH, so that you only pay the single occupant rate.

You may be eligible for other means tested benefits as well. Also, you should not be paying for carers or incontinence supplies for your OH. If you are, get in contact with your GP and also ask Social Services for a Needs Assessment for your OH

Please dont feel that you shouldnt apply for benefits - it is your right. Also, dont be ashamed of using debt companies, they are helpful and if it takes you a while to pay it all off, so be it

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Debt is a horrible thing. When I split with my ex about 15 years ago I/we had a lot and - long story short - it fell to me to sort it out and my income was very low at the time.

There is only one way to sort it out and that's to sit down and look at everything you have coming in and going out. If you're not good at these things, please get someone to help you. But, there are lots of things you can do to reduce your payments. First, you need to write to all the people you owe money to, tell them that you are struggling to meet payments and ask for their help. At this point they SHOULD stop adding further interest to the debt, provided you stop spending. Also, offer to pay them something every month and stick to it. Even if that amount is only - say - £3 per month, as long as you pay it, they cannot take action - it shows goodwill on your part, i.e. your intention to pay, and even £3 a month against a big debt is far better than you making zero payments as that looks like you are refusing to pay/defaulting on the debt.

All my debts were to credit cards and a couple of bank loans. One really helpful thing I did was to move the credit card debts to other card companies offering zero interest balance transfers - there are lots of them.

It's a hard slog getting out of debt, but I did it - after years of determination and austerity! I no longer hide when there's a knock at the door (debt collectors!) and it's an enormous relief to be able to sleep at night without the horror of debt hanging over me. Stay strong, know your rights and don't be intimidated by debt collection companies as they frequently lie about what they can legally do. (One of my debts was 'sold on' 3 times and each time the DC company made illegal threats. Fortunately I knew better...)

Joolie58

Jul 12, 2017
Debt is a horrible thing. When I split with my ex about 15 years ago I/we had a lot and - long story short - it fell to me to sort it out and my income was very low at the time.

There is only one way to sort it out and that's to sit down and look at everything you have coming in and going out. If you're not good at these things, please get someone to help you. But, there are lots of things you can do to reduce your payments. First, you need to write to all the people you owe money to, tell them that you are struggling to meet payments and ask for their help. At this point they SHOULD stop adding further interest to the debt, provided you stop spending. Also, offer to pay them something every month and stick to it. Even if that amount is only - say - £3 per month, as long as you pay it, they cannot take action - it shows goodwill on your part, i.e. your intention to pay, and even £3 a month against a big debt is far better than you making zero payments as that looks like you are refusing to pay/defaulting on the debt.

All my debts were to credit cards and a couple of bank loans. One really helpful thing I did was to move the credit card debts to other card companies offering zero interest balance transfers - there are lots of them.

It's a hard slog getting out of debt, but I did it - after years of determination and austerity! I no longer hide when there's a knock at the door (debt collectors!) and it's an enormous relief to be able to sleep at night without the horror of debt hanging over me. Stay strong, know your rights and don't be intimidated by debt collection companies as they frequently lie about what they can legally do. (One of my debts was 'sold on' 3 times and each time the DC company made illegal threats. Fortunately I knew better...)

Joolie58

Jul 12, 2017
Thank you to EVERYBODY that has taken the time to reply so far , your help and kind words mean a lot x