Wet bathroom floor

Vic10

Feb 18, 2017
Sorry, subject a little unsavoury!
My OH frequently misses the loo and I mop up the bathroom floors several times a day but I can’t seem to get rid of the smell. On a mission today I pulled back the vinyl flooring and found it to be wet underneath.
So I’m looking for a long term plan, open to ideas. Would it work if I had the floor tiled? But then it may be cold and potentially slippy!

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
You could seal around the base of the toilet using the silicone that is used around shower bases and around baths. You will need to deal with the floor before sealing.

I have a tiled floor that is neither cold or slippery and I have the base of the toilet sealed with silicone.

Wifenotcarer

Mar 11, 2018
Central Scotland
My OH frequently misses the loo and I mop up the bathroom floors several times a day but I can’t seem to get rid of the smell. On a mission today I pulled back the vinyl flooring and found it to be wet underneath.
So I’m looking for a long term plan, open to ideas. Would it work if I had the floor tiled? But then it may be cold and potentially slippy!

Not sure if your OH is a male or female? I had some success for a while by persuading my Husband to use a bottle with a handle and aperture to insert penis. After a while he forgot to use the bottle unless I went with him to the loo. Then I tried to insist that he sat down on the toilet even if only for a pee. Again this only worked if I was with him in the toilet. Next ploy was to buy a good few pedestal mats, which soaked up the urine before it flowed elsewhere. These were easily lifted washed and replaced. I also tucked polythene or newspaper under the vinyl around the loo to protect the floor beneath.

Now that OH is past that stage and in a care home, I note that the floors there are all solid sort of 'composition' floors with no gaps (like tiles have) and therefore easily wiped up

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
My toilet floor is tiled but the smell did get into the grouting and was a nightmare to keep smelling fresh.

I did find the animal urine deodorant worked but it is still only a deodorant. I`m afraid I was quite heavy handed with bleach, preferring the smell of bleach to that of urine.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
How about lino ? The type that you can get in wet rooms and goes up to the skirtings.It is non slip and used in care homes.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
Whatever flooring you choose, you will need to use the right cleanser to get rid of the smell which has soaked into the subfloor (whatever is below the vinyl). If you want to use tiling, you can get tiles with a matt finish which aren't slippy.

I did find the animal urine deodorant worked but it is still only a deodorant. I`m afraid I was quite heavy handed with bleach, preferring the smell of bleach to that of urine.

The ones I use are not deodorants, they are enzymatics which eliminate the smell rather than just masking it. If you put 'pet enzyme cleaner' into Amazon there are various options, I use Envii Pet Fresh.

Vic10

Feb 18, 2017
Oh, thank you. Some great ideas here. I didn’t know you could put a seal around the vinyl. I think the flooring is wood so it adsorbs the urine. Don’t really won’t to tile if I don’t need to.
Will work through the ideas!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
The ones I use are not deodorants, they are enzymatics which eliminate the smell rather than just masking it.
I bought a similar thing from a well known pet supermarket. It seems to work extremely well.

My bathroom has a non slip vinyl floor which is (thank goodness) easy to clean and there isnt the gap around the toilet. A tip I was told was to use puppy training pads with a semicircle cut out of one side so that it can be used as a pedestal mat and simply disposed f when required.

Vic10

Feb 18, 2017
I bought a similar thing from a well known pet supermarket. It seems to work extremely well.

My bathroom has a non slip vinyl floor which is (thank goodness) easy to clean and there isnt the gap around the toilet. A tip I was told was to use puppy training pads with a semicircle cut out of one side so that it can be used as a pedestal mat and simply disposed f when required.
How did you achieve no gap around the toilet?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
How did you achieve no gap around the toilet?
We had the bathroom redone fairly recently (OH broke the toilet cistern - long story) and the bathroom fitter got the floor done first and then fitted the toilet on top of the vinyl. He also used sealant round the base

Vic10

Feb 18, 2017
We had the bathroom redone fairly recently (OH broke the toilet cistern - long story) and the bathroom fitter got the floor done first and then fitted the toilet on top of the vinyl. He also used sealant round the base
Thank you, that sounds like an excellent solution, will be drying out, deodorising and getting new vinyl and finding someone to fit it, might not be as easy as it sounds OH has always fitted vinyl himself ( used to be a carpet fitter) so I see a challenge ahead!! But then isn’t everything a challenge!
Oh dear! Feeling the stress today!

Sep 10, 2019
I know exactly what you, my husband has not had his diagnosis confirmed yet, but every time he uses the loo, more goes on the floor than in the toilet. He also cannot find his mouth when eating, so I have to feed him. I am dreading things getting worse.