Removing blood stains

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
OH is constantly scratching himself and making his skin bleed. (I keep his nails short and smooth and gloves dont work, but if youve got any ideas I would be grateful). I can get the stains out usually by using laundry soap and cold water before washing or soaking in Biotex before washing if its more extensive. Unfortunately OH got dermatitis recently and scratched himself to bits. The bedding was so bad I began to wonder if I might find a horses head there......... Anyway, I got the stains out of the bedding, but the mattress cover (non-waterproof) is a problem. It is too heavy and there is too much blood to use laundry soap and I tried soaking it in the bath overnight in Biotex before washing, but they havnt come out.

Has anyone got any tips for something that might work now?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Vanish products are good.
Whatever product you use it's important to only use cold water when removing the stain and before washing.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Thank you for your advice.
Yes @nitram that is indeed the thing to do. Unfortunately, although I soaked it in cold water and Biotex I then washed it in the washing machine before I discovered that the stains hadnt come out - bother.
Where do you get hydrogen peroxide @margherita ? Ive never seen it. Is it the stuff you use for bleaching hair.?
I went out and bought some Vanish Gold @Louise7 I put it in the washing machine, set it going and paused it so it can soak as on the back of the bottle it recommends soaking white things for several hours. I shall get it going again just before I go to bed and see what its like tomorrow.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
You can buy hydrogen peroxide in Boots, or any chemist. Fingers crossed the overnight soaking works though.

margherita

May 30, 2017
Italy, Milan and Acqui Terme
Where do you get hydrogen peroxide @margherita ? Ive never seen it. Is it the stuff you use for bleaching hair.?
Hydrogen peroxide is the word I found when I looked up in the dictionary.
It is the stuff used for bleaching hair or to disinfect minor wounds. It produces foam when it comes into contact with blood. It is this foam which helps to remove blood stains.
In Italian it is called acqua ( water) ossigenata ( with oxygen) .
Here it can be found in supermarkets, too.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Hydrogen peroxide is the word I found when I looked up in the dictionary.
It is the stuff used for bleaching hair or to disinfect minor wounds. It produces foam when it comes into contact with blood. It is this foam which helps to remove blood stains.
In Italian it is called acqua ( water) ossigenata ( with oxygen) .
Here it can be found in supermarkets, too.
When we were young, we used hydrogen peroxide to brighten our teeth. We occasionally dipped the toothbrush in it and as you brushed, it frothed and lifted stains from your teeth. Didn't taste too good but oh! the things we did in the name of beauty.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
When we were young, we used hydrogen peroxide to brighten our teeth. We occasionally dipped the toothbrush in it and as you brushed, it frothed and lifted stains from your teeth. Didn't taste too good but oh! the things we did in the name of beauty.
I was just telling my daughter about that last week @Lawson58. we also used baking powder, salt and occasionally soot! Who told us to try these things I have no idea but I did have good teeth. Youngest then told me that rubbing an egg into your hair makes it soft but added not to rinse with very hot water or it would be like scrambled egg!

Donkeyshere

May 25, 2016
outside UK
Any ideas for smelly carpets - I have just rug doctored the MIL's in bedroom as it was beginning to smell of wee as she dribbles getting from the bed to the bathroom at night! Its better but not sure what to do going forward - other than putting down new waterproof flooring - but she still has capacity enough to ask why it would be changed! I suppose I could get a carpet washing cleaner - just not sure its ever going to smell right again!

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
There have been plenty of recommendations on here previously with regards to using pet products designed for the removal of dog/cat urine smells & stains from carpets.

margherita

May 30, 2017
Italy, Milan and Acqui Terme
When I was a child my family doctor told me to gargle with water (a glass) and peroxide ( a spoonful) when I had a sore throat with white spots. It worked well and still works.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I was just telling my daughter about that last week @Lawson58. we also used baking powder, salt and occasionally soot! Who told us to try these things I have no idea but I did have good teeth. Youngest then told me that rubbing an egg into your hair makes it soft but added not to rinse with very hot water or it would be like scrambled egg!
When I was a kid things like conditioner didn't exist but we use to make something out of beaten egg yolk, perhaps baby oil and a few other things that varied according to what was at hand. We had a rainwater tank and rainwater was supposed to be good for hair but it was always so cold when a jug full went over your head.

First aid tip for minor burns is an egg white beaten till it's frothy, smear over the burn and allow to dry.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
When I was a child my family doctor told me to gargle with water (a glass) and peroxide ( a spoonful) when I had a sore throat with white spots. It worked well and still works.
I had a wisdom tooth extracted which was quite painful afterwards. Dentis said to rinse with peroxide to help keep the wound clean.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
Any ideas for smelly carpets - I have just rug doctored the MIL's in bedroom as it was beginning to smell of wee as she dribbles getting from the bed to the bathroom at night! Its better but not sure what to do going forward - other than putting down new waterproof flooring - but she still has capacity enough to ask why it would be changed! I suppose I could get a carpet washing cleaner - just not sure its ever going to smell right again!

You can use a pet urine odour eliminator product in your carpet cleaner. Have a look on Amazon and you'll find a large selection. But it'll be a case of diminishing returns, you'll probably end up having to remove the carpet.