TiredofHants

Oct 15, 2008
Hampshire
Hi to all

I am new to all this and unsure what to write so if I waffle a bit please bear with me. I'm also unsure about political correctness and have no wish to cause offence to anyone so please tell me if I use terms that do so. OK so here goes....

I am a full-time carer for my father in law who is disabled and has diabetes and has now been diagnosed with alzheimers. I first began caring for dad about 5 years ago when he and his wife could no longer manage in their own home (mum had cancer and dad is disabled,and could'nt cope) My husband is in the armed forces and we found that the new posting didn't allow us to live near enough to help out as we used to. So we all made the decision that mum and dad would come to live with us and bought a place with an annexe. I gave up work and cared for both of them until mum died about a year later. Since then I have cared for dad.

It is only in the last 18months that I have gradually become aware of some of the support availabe for carers and I am still finding out about things. I only found this site a month or so ago and the is my first post.

Dad has recently been diagnosed with alzheimers after developing some increasingly "odd" behaviour and memory problems. I appologise for the term "odd" - what i mean is odd for dad - he has become obbessed with food - wanting to eat at strange times of the day/ night, forgetting that he has eaten at all, feeling that he is being starved or that he is having something put in his food - i don't really know how to describe everything properly. He also get lost even at home, cant remember things or what is discussed a few minutes ago. He's also become a bit of a magpie - if he sees something he likes the look of he takes it and hides it (particularly shiny things) indeed if anything goes missing the first place we look is in dad's dresser.

I'm told that all this is fairly typical but when I look back just a few years ago dad seems so different and even though I've been reading about alzheimers and in theory know something about what's ahead, I do feel at bit at sea here ...

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Hello TiredofHants and welcome to TP. I think you will find many posts here that will ring true for you and a lot of help and support.

The behaviours you describe are quite typical. And I think "odd" is quite a good word. Never mind political correctness - what you need is help.

If your FIL feels he's being deprived of food, perhaps several little meal/snacks during the day would be better for him than 3 regular meals. Little things like fruit, half a sandwich, yogurt, small portions of cheese & crackers, that sort of thing. Keep feeding him but cut down his main meals - use smaller plates to make the food look like more.

The magpie thing - at least you know where to find things, which is good.

Others here who know how the system works will be able to advise you on the help available to you.

Good luck

Sam Iam

Sep 29, 2008
WEST OF THE MOON
Hello TiredofHants,
Idont think you are all at sea, you are being a good carer and sound like you could do with some help, some of which the good people of TP can offer you.
As for trying to find out what is in front of you with regard's to your FIL,there is no way of predicting what way this horrible disease will go and that's the hardest thing about it.
Glad you have found this site it is good to have a place to go to when time's are hard and when time's are good.
Take care. xx

May

Oct 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hi TiredofHants,

Welcome to TP. Odd is a very good word...as Joanne said never mind pc...;)This darned disease throws up all sorts of behaviours, some that we never thought we would meet in a million years from our loved ones. We never know what to expect and I think that is one of the hardest things to comprehend, is there any wonder we all feel 'wrong-footed' most of the time.:rolleyes:
Hope you've found the factsheets on the main site. If they don't answer your questions, post here, someone has usually had experience of what you are going through, that's the strength of this site,real life and people willing to share experiences.:)
There is also a good line in humour practised in the 'tea-room':D. every little helps.

Take care and come back and post.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pescobar