Going on alone

sunray

Sep 21, 2008
East Coast of Australia
Where does the time go? I will be 72 in a couple of days time. It is a winter birthday for me and I will be on my own so not much to urge to celebrate. A couple of people in church today wished me "Happy Birthday" and asked me if I was doing anything special for my birthday so I just smiled and thanked them for their good wishes. Life as a widow. Says it all really.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It`s a sadness when families are scattered Sue. I hope your birthday turns out to be better than expected.

Birthday-Celebration-Bowl.jpg

sunray

Sep 21, 2008
East Coast of Australia
Thank you for your birthday wishes. I celebrated over three days with different friends. I am so thankful for the friends I have, many of them are widows like myself and understand what being alone means. My daughter did come down on my actual birthday and we had lunch together. She had to go home straight afterwards as her time was limited. The boys phoned me too which was good. Guess that is it for another year.

sunray

Sep 21, 2008
East Coast of Australia
Went to my third funeral for members of one of the groups I belong to today, all those who died were in their 70s. It is an uncomfortable truth that many friends will die before us, but that seems to be common at present. I have just been through the pre-op process for my brain op in July, not very encouraging but I expect that, brain surgery is dangerous. Apart from that just keeping busy as much as I can to
take my mind off my troubles.

sunray

Sep 21, 2008
East Coast of Australia
Just home from visiting with my daughter and her family. Luckily I had packed some warm clothes as the weather turned cold. Nice to be with my grandchildren and catch up on their news. Lovely to be with with that part of the family, haven't been able to keep up with them as much as I have in years past. I really enjoyed the lovely meals out with them and the BBQ Craig cooked for us. Living on my own I really appreciate being in company. Now to prepare for my hospital visit, need to have a supply of meals cooked amd frozen for the convalescent period

sunray

Sep 21, 2008
East Coast of Australia
I go to hospital in two weeks time Sylvia. I am busy planning out the meals for the first two weeks after the hospital stay and buying suitable clothes that do not have to be taken over my head. Funny how suddenly the preparations take up all my time but I have always been that way. Had a friend from the past bring me a big bunch of flowers today amd as he was leaving he said: "I'd rather bring them now than save them for the funeral." I guess it has to be the thought that counts.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh dear! Yes - the thought counts!

I hope all goes well with your preparations and that the surgery is a success.

sunray

Sep 21, 2008
East Coast of Australia
I spent six days in hospital after the brain surgery and am now back home. The surgery was a great success as the clipping of the aneurysm occurred without leaving any damage and the healing is occurring on schedule. I am so grateful to all the people who have supported me through the past few months with prayers or other ways of showing their loving concern. I did have doubts towards the end about whether this was the way to go but now feel that without the surgeryy I would have been alway waiting for the worst to happen. I will have some health issues for a while as I heal but all's' well that ends well.

sunray

Sep 21, 2008
East Coast of Australia
Thank you friends, I am sitting here enjoying the winter sun on my front verandah and relishing being back in in familiar surroundings. I will take a while to heal but I have been blessed with plenty of time so can just relax and start the healing.

sunray

Sep 21, 2008
East Coast of Australia
Three weeks post op and I am beginning to feel " normal". I won't be able to drive until the neurosurgeon gives me a clearance the first week in September but I wil gradually get back to being able to do most of what I used to do. I am so grateful to friends who are providing transport to doctors etc and the carers who come in to do housework and take me shopping once a week.

sunray

Sep 21, 2008
East Coast of Australia
Had my 18 month check up for the lymph node dissection and the six week check up for the aneurysm clipping today and got good results from both. I can drive again and can fly out to see my son and granddaughter in Broken Hill. So I am able to make plans for the future again.