Is there any point in taking Donepezil after a certain number of years?

White Rose

Nov 4, 2018
Hi All
There doesn't seem to be much info available about the effectiveness of Donepezil. My partner has been taking it for 3 1/2 years but his memory is deteriorating each day, so what's the point of taking Donepezil? The pharmacy ran out and he was without it for 3 days but I didn't see any difference, in fact perhaps there was a bit less depression and anger. We get no info or help from his GP, there are no health visitors, no one assesses him. There is literally no-one who can answer any questions about this medication. He takes Keppra for seizures as well - perhaps the two medicines are incompatible. Any info would be appreciated.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @White Rose
I believe there are thoughts that Donepezil is less effective as time goes on ...sfter all it's only aimed at slowing some symptoms it can't hold back effects completely
I know my dad was taken off that drug and moved over to Memantine after several years, though some take the 2 meds together

if your GP is not that helpful, might you re-contact the Memory Clinic or ask for a referral to the Community Psychiatric team ... maybe too have a chat with your pharmacist as they know a great deal about the drugs they deal with

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
It's important to remember that Donepezil is not going to halt decline forever, and often it just slows it down for a while. That doesn't mean there is no point to it.

I've been told by the Memory Clinic that they don't take people off it anymore without giving something else instead as the sudden decline can be dramatic. People certainly shouldn't stop it without doctors advice. Three days might not make too much difference but after a week without you practically have to start from scratch again with reintroducing it slowly in smaller doses.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
For what it's worth, I had my wife at the clinic last week and discussed the continuing value of this med. I was cautioned against stopping it on the basis that it is considered to have a continuing benefit at all stages of dementia.

My wife is also on Memantine and when that was stopped for a short while during the investigation of a possible side effect her dementia accelerated dramatically within a week or so.

On the other hand, a recent change in the anti depressant taken by my wife has helped with her overall symptoms. I guess that means that you may be on the right track when you are thinking of all the meds taken by your partner.

Good luck with your investigations.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It does seem that as dementia progresses many drugs become less effective.

My husband had to be withdrawn from some of his diabetic and osteoporosis medication because it wasn`t available in liquid form and he was unable to swallow the tablets. It didn`t seem to make any difference to him at that stage.

I have no experience of dementia medication but I do know nothing should be stopped without medical advice and if some medication is to be stopped it has to be stopped gradually.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
I started taking Aricept donepezil in November 1999 when it was in its infancy and still on trial here in UK it was only prescribed by the Consultants and didn’t become available for GP prescription until around 2003-04 later around 2009-10 the a cheaper genetic donepezil became available :eek: I have never taken the genetic one does Aricept work well in November I will have took it for twenty years does it work :rolleyes::rolleyes:

And I can still get by using my old brain ;);) good enough for me anyway I not very clever :(but you’ll need to smart :cool::cool: to put one over on me because I was taught to be cautious :):) remember you will only be here once so make the best of it don't waste time worring about tomorrow because you wont see tomorrow ever its always today

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
My Mum was diagnosed with Alzheimers mid 2013 and started on 5mg Donepezil.
Within a few weeks it was increased to 10mg but gave Mum an upset stomach.
In the beginning it did help with her anxiety and overall behaviour.
Mum went into care mid 2016.
As she has deteriorated and started refusing med, they were slowly withdrawn.
Donepezil & anti psychotic being the last.
End of last year when Mums mobility declined, along with her speech and sleeping more, due to her appetite decreasing they decided they would stop her Donepezil . They felt at her stage of decline 5mg had no therapeutic level.
Mums anti psychotic is now 12.5mg from 75mg a day.
Mum has had a gradual decline since but can’t say it’s due to the Donepezil being stopped.

White Rose

Nov 4, 2018
I started taking Aricept donepezil in November 1999 when it was in its infancy and still on trial here in UK it was only prescribed by the Consultants and didn’t become available for GP prescription until around 2003-04 later around 2009-10 the a cheaper genetic donepezil became available :eek: I have never taken the genetic one does Aricept work well in November I will have took it for twenty years does it work :rolleyes::rolleyes:

And I can still get by using my old brain ;);) good enough for me anyway I not very clever :(but you’ll need to smart :cool::cool: to put one over on me because I was taught to be cautious :):) remember you will only be here once so make the best of it don't waste time worring about tomorrow because you wont see tomorrow ever its always today
Wow that's impressive, you're doing really well. My partner's only been diagnosed 3 1/2 years and he can't have a conversation now, certainly can't use a computer, can barely read anymore, only on rare good days can manage to get dressed by himself, very, very sad.

White Rose

Nov 4, 2018
Thank you all for the information, it's been a great help. It seems probably best to continue with the Donepezil to be on the safe side - I certainly wouldn't consider stopping it without medical advice anyway.

Annajayne

Sep 6, 2019
My mum was prescribed this medication after diagnosis and took it for two weeks. She became very ‘foggy’ And to be honest seemed more confused. After a lot of reading and research it appeared that many other people reported the same thing. Probably a 50/50 for and against. There is no cure for Alzheimer’s and this drug is used to help with cognition. You can only try, however if symptoms got worse I would stop. Good luck

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
All cases are unique.
Progression of syndrome is inevitable.
Unless you ask for, and obtain medical advice, to the contrary carrying on with the current medication regimen would be my choice.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My mum was prescribed this medication after diagnosis and took it for two weeks. She became very ‘foggy’ And to be honest seemed more confused.
Yes that can happen and this case you should go back to the person who prescribed it. Someone who has been taking it for 3 and a half years, though, wont be in this category. Donepezil doesnt stop the dementia - there will still be progression, but it slows the progression down, so that the person doesnt decline so fast. Its impossible to tell what they would have been like without it, but I certainly wouldnt stop without medical advice.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Wow that's impressive, you're doing really well. My partner's only been diagnosed 3 1/2 years and he can't have a conversation now, certainly can't use a computer, can barely read anymore, only on rare good days can manage to get dressed by himself, very, very sad.

Hi White Rose thank yes I doing fine always positive but I do understand that dementias can effect people differently both my parents had dementia also my mums sister and brother but they did all live in their nineties but wernt diagnosed until late in life, whereas I had only just gone 56 but continued working until I was 65. Just as a matter of interest there is a traditional Cornish folk Song called the White Rose if your google it you hear a Male voice choir singing it

The White Rose
The first time I met you, my darling
Your face was as fair as the rose,
But now your dear face has grown paler
As pale as the lily white rose.
Chorus
I love the White Rose in its splendour
I love the White Rose in its bloom
I love the White Rose so fair as she grows.
It’s the rose that reminds me of you.

You're fair as the spring, oh my darling
Your face shines so bright, so divine
The fairest of blooms in my garden
Oh lily white rose, you are mine
Chorus
Years pass by so quickly, my darling,
Each makes you more precious to me;
But long may we grow close together,
Oh, lily-white rose, cling to me.
Chorus
Now I am alone, my sweet darling,
I walk through the garden and weep,
But spring will return with your presence
Oh lily white rose, mine to keep
Chorus

Alternate fourth verse

And now that you've left me my darling
From your grave one single flower grows
I will always remember you darling
When I gaze on that lily white rose.

Last edited:

White Rose

Nov 4, 2018
Hi White Rose thank yes I doing fine always positive but I do understand that dementias can effect people differently both my parents had dementia also my mums sister and brother but they did all live in their nineties but wernt diagnosed until late in life, whereas I had only just gone 56 but continued working until I was 65. Just as a matter of interest there is a traditional Cornish folk Song called the White Rose if your google it you hear a Male voice choir singing it
Oh, thank you for that, it's lovely. I chose the name because J and I met abroad and our first Christmas he had to return to UK so he gave me a huge bouquet of white roses to signify snow that he might be seeing and I wouldn't be!

The White Rose
The first time I met you, my darling
Your face was as fair as the rose,
But now your dear face has grown paler
As pale as the lily white rose.
Chorus
I love the White Rose in its splendour
I love the White Rose in its bloom
I love the White Rose so fair as she grows.
It’s the rose that reminds me of you.

You're fair as the spring, oh my darling
Your face shines so bright, so divine
The fairest of blooms in my garden
Oh lily white rose, you are mine
Chorus
Years pass by so quickly, my darling,
Each makes you more precious to me;
But long may we grow close together,
Oh, lily-white rose, cling to me.
Chorus
Now I am alone, my sweet darling,