A lifelong friend and me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Thanks @Grannie G , @Izzy , @2jays and @Sam Luvit

In the end I didn't do anything other than wash mums bedding -I took your advice and we went out for the day. Mum was in such a pleasant mood it was actually a nice day, no feelings of needing to escape.

Mum again had the carers in talking to them yesterday and the same carer is returning today so I am hoping that a new pattern has begun, of course there will be hiccups but lets see. It makes me feel less anxious knowing someone is able to enter the house and check she's ok and maybe in the future start doing more. Now that she's coming round to the carers again I think it would be wise to start increasing the visits, but we won't rush, just take it steady at first.

I could try the cleaners coming in again, but it might be a step too far, she sacked them last time and when they did try to clean she wouldn't let them. I may have to forego cleaners at the mo, the win with the carers is a huge step forward so I'll stick with that for now

The hanging baskets are frazzled, beyond saving and I agree one job at a time, the hedge this week definately needs cutting, only small so shouldn't take too long. Its sad really, as the garden used to look fab, but over the last two years it has become neglected more and more -as always time is the factor

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Lazy persons advice coming up :D

If you cut top of hedge only and leave sides for another day, would anyone notice that the whole hedge hasn’t been cut?

Or can’t you get up the path... ergo, only cut the sides :D

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Lazy persons advice coming up :D

If you cut top of hedge only and leave sides for another day, would anyone notice that the whole hedge hasn’t been cut?

Funny you should suggest that as its the top that has grown. I'm still catching up with other chores and getting tea ready as mum is currently hyper round the kitchen and driving me nuts as usual. I will cut the top later once the hyper stage of the day is out of the way

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Food for thought:

Attachments

• 62365190_328365311178171_5435627119948333056_n.jpg
    62365190_328365311178171_5435627119948333056_n.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 347

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I think I have gone from ‘Huh’ to ‘I Am never going to understand this’ in one leap :oops:

I think I did that too @Bikerbeth, then it started to make sense .... then I got frustrated with the “professionals”, as I came up against various ones who didn’t understand “hostess mode”, the effect of UTI’s etc :rolleyes:

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
I think I have gone from ‘Huh’ to ‘I Am never going to understand this’ in one leap :oops:

Me too, so many sides to this, some stuff I know and other stuff I have no idea.

@Sam Luvit I think we become experts in our own way, and where we aren't sure we learn to ask and challenge and realise that things are never straight foward.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
So true @Palerider. Yesterday someone said “if your aunt has Parkinson’s, then you know all about it”. My reply of “everyone is different” - pretty much standard comment when anyone says they know “everything” about Alzheimers- but I added “even two people with a cold are different”

I’m still learning :rolleyes:

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
So true @Palerider. Yesterday someone said “if your aunt has Parkinson’s, then you know all about it”. My reply of “everyone is different” - pretty much standard comment when anyone says they know “everything” about Alzheimers- but I added “even two people with a cold are different”

I’m still learning :rolleyes:

I quite like Plato's view

“I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing.”
― Plato, The Republic
Perhaps too philosophical?

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I quite like Plato's view

“I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing.”
― Plato, The Republic
Perhaps too philosophical?

I like Donald Rumsfeld's quote about unknown unknowns:

Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns—the ones we don't know we don't know. And if one looks throughout the history of our country and other free countries, it is the latter category that tend to be the difficult ones.

A wise friend of mine always says the answer to any question should start with, 'Well, that depends...'

And my own warning: Beware people who cannot bring themselves to say 'I don't know'.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
I like Donald Rumsfeld's quote about unknown unknowns:

Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns—the ones we don't know we don't know. And if one looks throughout the history of our country and other free countries, it is the latter category that tend to be the difficult ones.

A wise friend of mine always says the answer to any question should start with, 'Well, that depends...'

And my own warning: Beware people who cannot bring themselves to say 'I don't know'.

I like that qoute, and I am always saying 'I don't know....' in my work. For me the reality is that we really don't know, although we know some things they are only tiny pieces in a huge jigsaw puzzle, of which we are a part....

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Well what a week work wise, awful yesterday but of course weekend and the referrals shoot up. Today got a text asking if I would go in as people waiting to be seen from last night (23). My answer was no. My hours have been changed to work in the week which will increase my travelling and make caring for mum more difficult, I am not then going to backtrack and work a day off because the managers now realise it was a mistake. I have also completed my application for a decent job closer to home -fingers crossed I get an interview. I am so fed up with dealing with **** from all sides, time to bight back :mad:

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Thanks @canary and @jugglingmum I had planned to stay and help develop future plans, but that is all bitter sweet now, my colleagues feel the same, but this is the new health service and no one seems to matter anymore just figures on a sheet of paper, after nearly 30 years service I am not sure how best to go on until I can retire??

Anyway I'm going to rest now and leave this all alone, but I do love this song, Colours of My Life, its not completely relevant, but just those first few words represent the colour of our lives, plus its a good tune:

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Well what a week work wise, I have also completed my application for a decent job closer to home -fingers crossed I get an interview. I am so fed up ...., time to bite back :mad:

Break a leg on the application :p (I’m not really superstitious... just careful :D). Congratulations on saying “no” to the extra hours :)

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
And so the daily routine of hyperactivity begins, while Simon is getting the beef dinner ready, mum is trying to help

download.jpg

We also have a carer review due with mum's carers, I did suggest increasing the visits to a teatime one as well, the manager looked rather blankly at me ....mmmm...this might take some selling ......

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Today for some odd reason I feel utterly and absolutely low, I don't know why and I can't fathom the feelings I have right now. No matter how hard I try some days I end up feeling like this -completely beaten into a place that makes me feel miserable and to some degree worthless. Friends get tired of hearing it and there is no one else.....just me, mum and a void of silence feeling like this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArthurPOA