What works!

Roger Rowett

I am doing some work for the Care Council for Wales. The first part of the work involves finding out what approaches and tools (I hate the word but...) are out there. Ideally these will be approaches that have been tried and tested to some degree.

The second and third stages will involve trying out some of these in care 'settings' in Wales and evaluating their effectiveness. This will include registered settings and in people's own homes (with paid and unpaid carers).

I am well aware of the concept of person centred approaches but would be interested in any good practical application of this. I have done PCP training in LD services. For example, I am aware of a local residential home for older people that is supporting individuals to develop their own portfolios (life books). The key thing is that they have supported staff to spend some quality time with people in order to do this.

I have also read about some homes using the Nintendo Wii games console. This sounds really interesting! I have also read about the use of creative arts. Again, I guess this all centres on spending quality time with people and providing meaningful activity and stimulation.

So - if you know of any work that is going on, or has occurred in the past, that is really making a difference for people with Dementia or their carers I would really appreciate a contact. You can reach me on [email address removed] Moderator note: we don't advise open display of personal email addresses. Will anyone wishing to know Roger's email address please let him know by PM]
Many thanks - Roger :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Here's another one for you, Roger, on the use of music:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/talkingpoint/discuss/showthread.php?t=9914

I presume you know about the Alzheimer's Society course, Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow? It's on person-centred care, and the staff of the home my husband is in use it.

There's also a thread about the use of sensory rooms, and a programme about developing the senses -- I'll find it for you.

PS This is it:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/talkingpoint/discuss/showthread.php?t=13546

Last edited: