Refusing to stand or walk

Alex54

Oct 15, 2018
Newtown, Wales
I just wonder if anyone else has been through this?

My wife (PWD) has been in a hospital bed for three weeks now, not getting out or going to the bathroom. Try as hard as we all can we cannot persuade her to get on her feet, The most I could do today was to get her sitting on the edge of the bed, she would push against the bed as if to stand up and then give up. It is not a medical issue it is a mental problem and I do not know how to get around it.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Yes I have this with my husband but sporadically. I never know when he is going to be compliant or stop cooperating. Something happens in their heads and wild horses wouldn’t change them until they’re ready to change.

Joyt

Jun 30, 2018
Yes I recognise this. My husband is in care and despite everyone’s best efforts he seems to have forgotten how to stand or walk.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
This started to happen with my husband when he was sitting at the table at dinner time. It didn`t happen at breakfast or lunch time, just at dinner time.

When he wanted to leave the table, instead of pushing his feet against the floor to help him stand, he pushed the table away from him and just couldn`t understand why he couldn`t get up.

It`s very distressing.

With my husband I put it down to him being tired but it wasn`t like that. I would call our son for help, he would come, and between us we would help my husband up and then he was able to walk to the living room and sit in a comfortable chair.

Perhaps less than an hour later, up he would get, say goodbye and that he was going home.

Joyt

Jun 30, 2018
Yes, that’s right. When his sister comes she only has to say shall we go, and he can get up. It’s weird.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I suppose it`s something comparable with Hostess Mode. We don`t know how it works but it seems to make liars out of us all.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Yes, that’s right. When his sister comes she only has to say shall we go, and he can get up. It’s weird.
A similar thing happened to my MIL. In her final few months she was pretty much bed-bound and could not weight bear at all, but a physiotherapist visited and got her standing unaided!!!!

I think that @Grannie G is right - its a variation on hostess mode.