Should I appeal CHC decision?

Canalbug

Aug 25, 2019
My mother has just got turned down for CHC funding despite being discharged from hospital into a nursing home on the grounds she would not be safe at home. Her DST scores are 1 severe, 3 highs, 4 moderates and 2 low. She has been told she will receive the nursing care component FNC because she needs 24 hour nursing supervision. I understand that where there is one severe and several high/moderates there may also be a case for funding but I can't find any guidance about what scores trigger this. Does anyone know? Also, if she's been assessed as needing 24 hour nursing care and not safe at home, why wouldn't she qualify for CHC? Incidentally her local DN team don't offer a 24 hour service. Should I appeal?

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
My mother has just got turned down for CHC funding despite being discharged from hospital into a nursing home on the grounds she would not be safe at home. Her DST scores are 1 severe, 3 highs, 4 moderates and 2 low. She has been told she will receive the nursing care component FNC because she needs 24 hour nursing supervision. I understand that where there is one severe and several high/moderates there may also be a case for funding but I can't find any guidance about what scores trigger this. Does anyone know? Also, if she's been assessed as needing 24 hour nursing care and not safe at home, why wouldn't she qualify for CHC? Incidentally her local DN team don't offer a 24 hour service. Should I appeal?
In our case, it appeared to be how many times a nurse would need to be on hand to give a clinical decision, not just supervision. If you appeal, keep a note of this. It also seems to depend on what the severe is. Also unpredictability is key. We heard that we had been awarded it two days after my husband died, but they backdated it to when he had been on end of life care, so three weeks backdated which was worth nearly four thousand in our case.
Warmest Kindred

Canalbug

Aug 25, 2019
I believe FNC has been awarded because of the CCGs decision that her medications must be monitored by a registered nurse. She only scores Moderate for this on the DST although she refuses to take medication most of the time. If I'm not present I'm not sure how I monitor this. Her Severe is lack of cognition due to dementia.
In our case, it appeared to be how many times a nurse would need to be on hand to give a clinical decision, not just supervision. If you appeal, keep a note of this. It also seems to depend on what the severe is. Also unpredictability is key. We heard that we had been awarded it two days after my husband died, but they backdated it to when he had been on end of life care, so three weeks backdated which was worth nearly four thousand in our case.
Warmest Kindred

Warmest Kindred

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzieMK27