Enough now....

Pickle2510

Jul 22, 2016
Does anyone else feel so mad when trying to get someone to bed, but 3 hours after saying they were tired (I live with my mum who has Alzheimer’s, my husband and my son,) has been back downstairs four times convinced we’d fallen out.
We hadn’t, but now I’m so annoyed. And I know she can’t help it, but it’s the same most nights, and it’s exhausting!
There’s no answer, but I’m at my wits end

charlie10

Dec 20, 2018
Hi @Pickle2510......sorry you're feeling so frustrated by this, and everything seems so much worse when you're on your knees with exhaustion! I'm not a hands-on carer so this is just off the top of my head.....could she be anxious, if she is suffering from anxiety maybe her gp could help? And have you tried just apologising for the 'misunderstanding' (goes against the grain, I know, to apologise for something that's not happened, but trying to convince her she's wrong may just ramp up her anxiety). There is a very useful post called Compassionate Communication somewhere on the forum, perhaps one of the other members can post the link.....and I do hope you can get some rest soon.....hopefully this is a passing stage for her. I'm sure more experienced members will be along with further suggestons as well.....take care

Razz

Oct 13, 2017
Does anyone else feel so mad when trying to get someone to bed, but 3 hours after saying they were tired (I live with my mum who has Alzheimer’s, my husband and my son,) has been back downstairs four times convinced we’d fallen out.
We hadn’t, but now I’m so annoyed. And I know she can’t help it, but it’s the same most nights, and it’s exhausting!
There’s no answer, but I’m at my wits end
I totally understand as I am in same situation. My mother moved in nearly 2 years ago with me , my husband and daughter, my mum has mixed dementia with Alzheimer’s and it’s getting progressively worse.
Night time is hard , sometimes my mum comes down an hour after going to bed as she says she can’t sleep but goes to bed exhausted, she normally is in bed at 6pm. Some nights she will get up a few times for the toilet and then go back to bed . But over the last few months she has been waking up worried and and agitated not knowing who lives in the house, wondering why she is in this room ( her bedroom )all on her own etc ; this all happens when we are asleep , she woke me up 3 times last night , she could not find her bedroom after wandering around , then would not believe that was her bedroom ... this happens quite a lot. So I feel your desperation.
I put a diffuser in my mums bedroom and put lavender essential oil in it , it is calming and helps sleep. If my mum is v anxious I put diluted lavender oil on her wrists . I also reassure and remind her it’s middle of the night etc and that we all need to sleep. I also use an uplifting aromatherapy blend in diffuser in the day in sitting room , it does help. But it is a huge strain on family life. My mum is now taking anti depressants and these have helped hugely with mood , she was getting angry and depressed, they also make you a bit sleepy , so handy at bedtime ( just not when she wanders in the night ! ) good luck , it’s hard but glad I can look after my mum for now .