Refused CHC today

Jancun

Jan 10, 2019
My husband (65) has today been refused CHC after being in a discharge to assess bed since the 15th July (5 weeks).
Prior to this he was in hospital for 6 weeks after a traumatic brain injury after a fall and the removal of a subdural hematoma.
In 2010 he sustained an acquired brain injury from autoimmune encephalitis. I have cared for him for 9 years.
In Dec 2018 he was diagnosed with dementia in relation to his previous ABI.
He has challenging behaviour. He is medically fit. The CHC has said that he needs social care but he also can have funded nursing care totalling just over £165 per week but only in a nursing home.
I don't know how I'm going to cope. Its been really hard since Dec 18.
I have reduce my working hours from 40pw to 16pw since 2010 to care for him. I need to work for my sanity.
He wants to be at home. He is worse in a care home and is bored.
It was very hard finding things for him to attend without me and now he won't be able to go anywhere without 1:1 because of risk of falls.
I see there is a company called Beacon that may be able to help appeal but should I?

Has anyone had success in appealing for dementia and ABI?

He has just received an occupational pension this year which puts him above £23250 so needs must he is self funding. It will take everything.
I assume he can continue to receive PIP.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
In a way you've answered your own question, if he's medically fit then he isn't entitled to CHC which is for healthcare, if he has no health needs then he won't get CHC.
The inability of someone unable to care for themselves is defined as social care.
Challenging behaviour can help you to get CHC but it has to be quite challenging not just awkward or difficult to handle it needs to be agressive.
My wife is immobile, doubly incontinent has to be fed as she can't feed herself and spends all day in an armchair/wheelchair with 3 people required to change her and there are people in the home worse than her, none get CHC, the manager told me it wasn't worth applying as only people on end office care get it in this area.
As you say FNC is only available to people in a registered nursing home not a care home which will significantly reduce your choice of homes and cost more than a standard care home.
K