Holidays with dementia

Sandy47

Aug 14, 2019
My husband has recently been diagnosed with Alzheimers at the age of 68. He has always lived a healthy, active life and is still fit and well apart from his memory loss and confusion. On a few cottage holidays away this year he has been disorientated, confused and sometimes agitated although he is often like this at home.
We booked a fortnights cruise due to take place in Jan 2020 before he got his diagnosis but I am wondering whether this should be cancelled. My sister, a trained dementia carer, is coming with us.
I would like to hear from anyone else who has taken people with dementia and how successful it was.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point @Sandy47

I’m sorry to hear of your husband’s diagnosis at such a young age.

I have no direct experience of taking someone with dementia on a cruise but I do remember one member taking a cruise with her OH. She also had her sister with her and from what I remember it was quite enjoyable for them...although she did say she couldn’t have managed without her sister’s help.

At least, while on the ship, you’d be contained and you could make the staff aware of your husband’s condition so they can keep a look out for him getting lost.

I hope you enjoy your cruise if you decide to go.

vernon

Jul 24, 2014
north west
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point @Sandy47

I’m sorry to hear of your husband’s diagnosis at such a young age.

I have no direct experience of taking someone with dementia on a cruise but I do remember one member taking a cruise with her OH. She also had her sister with her and from what I remember it was quite enjoyable for them...although she did say she couldn’t have managed without her sister’s help.

At least, while on the ship, you’d be contained and you could make the staff aware of your husband’s condition so they can keep a look out for him getting lost.

I hope you enjoy your cruise if you decide to go.

vernon

Jul 24, 2014
north west
i am taking my husband on our first cruise on bank holiday Monday! no one else with us and i am not sure what to tell the staff, i have a couple of Alzheimers blue cards that i will fill in with my mobile number and our cabin number. he sleeps until 12.noon and i would like to get out of the cabin before then, but if he happens to wake up and dress, he will be out looking for me. i will take my white board (cannot live without it) but he cannot use a phone and cannot string a sentence together either but he is so happy everytime i tell him we are going on a cruise so if it is really bad for me, i will remember how much he enjoyed knowing he was going! any advice at this late stage would be SO SO appreciated.

Amarylis

May 20, 2018
Dear Vernon
We have cruised a few times and I am wishing we could go on another. So here are a few pointers; with regard to him waking up early and looking for you I suggest taking a large portrait of yourself and propping it on your bed so that he sees it. Each day you can attach a post-it-note to say what time you will be back and for him to wait for you.
On your first cruise you may be surprised that they tell you to wash your hands frequently. This is vital to avoid catching any bugs that people have. Washing before meals and any time in between as there are loads of containers you can use around the ship - most important. I think my OH wouldn't want to do that and I would have to find ways to make that happen.
Next I would stick a photo of the two of you on the outside of your door so that he recognises which room is yours. Also if you get separated a lanyard around his neck with details of the cabin number would be helpful, but do not give him a key. Always ask for a steward to let him in and this would give you both extra security. Stewards are very kind and will be looking out for him. They want to clean and tidy the room after 8.30 am and after you leave for the evening meal
The best way is to always stick together and hold on as the crowds after a concert etc are very busy in small spaces and you might get separated.
Cruises are lovely and everyone takes a couple of days to get orientated about the ship. I always look at the maps on the walls at each floor of the staircases. You will be given a booklet with a map as well. The different floors of the cabins do look very similar and so talk to him about the pictures and colours of your floor so that he can identify his 'home'. You can turn the lock when inside the cabin so that he cannot go walkabout at night. Maybe the steward can advise as to what to do when you want to go to a talk or a fun game and he is in the cabin.
Hope that helps ...