Hi from Toronto Canada

JavierT

Aug 22, 2019
Toronto, Canada
Hello, My mom was diagnosed with Alzheimer's about 4 years ago. she is now 64, she lives in assisted living facility north of Toronto, joined to learn and hopefully help others that are going through this horrible desease. In my short time dealing with this, i had to educate some of her help and also be creative on how make the system work for my mom, as she was so young, here they wanted her to wait to be 65 to be even let in to assisted living, as it was catered for Seniors over 65. Nonetheless there have been an amazing amount of people that have gone above and beyond. From what I can see she is at early 6 stage of Alzeihmers, not until recently 4 weeks, she was much better, she had an uti which really does a number on her. She has started to talk to herself non stop, I mean full on stories and this happens, almost every single moment she is awake, super sad to see this. I am trying to research anything that I can do to help calm down, she must be drained, I know I would be. Thanks again!

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Hello, My mom was diagnosed with Alzheimer's about 4 years ago. she is now 64, she lives in assisted living facility north of Toronto, joined to learn and hopefully help others that are going through this horrible desease. In my short time dealing with this, i had to educate some of her help and also be creative on how make the system work for my mom, as she was so young, here they wanted her to wait to be 65 to be even let in to assisted living, as it was catered for Seniors over 65. Nonetheless there have been an amazing amount of people that have gone above and beyond. From what I can see she is at early 6 stage of Alzeihmers, not until recently 4 weeks, she was much better, she had an uti which really does a number on her. She has started to talk to herself non stop, I mean full on stories and this happens, almost every single moment she is awake, super sad to see this. I am trying to research anything that I can do to help calm down, she must be drained, I know I would be. Thanks again!

My mum fluctuates with self conversation, but on the whole she is quite happy chirruping away to herself. She did this to a lesser degree before Alzheimer's was on the horizon and now does it daily. I am not sure that treatment is useful, and in any event what are you treating, her or your own anxieties? But another way to look at this is to lets say you do find a 'treatment' it won't stop the need to to talk to herself, it will just slow her down and possibly make it harder for her to function. She might seem more sedate, but you can't be sure of anything else. It is the nature of the beast unfortunately, unless there is a real need to treat I would let her be in her own bubble.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Welcome to DTP, @JavierT. My partner (who has vascular dementia) and myself are in supported accommodation. It does make things easier, sorry your mum had to wait a while to be allowed in. I don't know about talking to herself, though C does go off on rambling conversations where it matter little what I say. It will be tiring and the UTIs always are. I hope your mum will settle again when the effects wear off, but of course this forum has many knowledgeable people who can advise you if it is the start of something more serious.
If you put Canada as your location you should find more locally relevant information too, as we have a few members over there.

JavierT

Aug 22, 2019
Toronto, Canada
My mum fluctuates with self conversation, but on the whole she is quite happy chirruping away to herself. She did this to a lesser degree before Alzheimer's was on the horizon and now does it daily. I am not sure that treatment is useful, and in any event what are you treating, her or your own anxieties? But another way to look at this is to lets say you do find a 'treatment' it won't stop the need to to talk to herself, it will just slow her down and possibly make it harder for her to function. She might seem more sedate, but you can't be sure of anything else. It is the nature of the beast unfortunately, unless there is a real need to treat I would let her be in her own bubble.
If she was to talk to her self and not affect her mood no big deal, but she brings up devastating topics, like losing her parents so she has high anxiety and mourns like it really happened. I try to entervene and let her know all is okay. I feel after she started talking so much to her self her anxiety is much higher.

JavierT

Aug 22, 2019
Toronto, Canada
Welcome to DTP, @JavierT. My partner (who has vascular dementia) and myself are in supported accommodation. It does make things easier, sorry your mum had to wait a while to be allowed in. I don't know about talking to herself, though C does go off on rambling conversations where it matter little what I say. It will be tiring and the UTIs always are. I hope your mum will settle again when the effects wear off, but of course this forum has many knowledgeable people who can advise you if it is the start of something more serious.
If you put Canada as your location you should find more locally relevant information too, as we have a few members over there.
Thank you for the warm welcome! i'll change it to Canada as location.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
If she was to talk to her self and not affect her mood no big deal, but she brings up devastating topics, like losing her parents so she has high anxiety and mourns like it really happened.
Ah, I can see why anxiety is a problem.
Go and talk to her GP. Many people have found antidepressants (rather than sedatives) for the person with dementia helpful to reduce anxiety, but see what the GP thinks.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome from me too @JavierT

I can understand your frustration listening to non stop talking.

I witnessed this while waiting for a bus recently. A mother and daughter were waiting too and the mother talked non stop. I kept turning round thinking she was talking to me and didn`t want to offend her by ignoring her, but she was talking away in her own world.

Her daughter was able to respond when it seemed necessary and ignore at other times. This lady didn't sound quite as anxious as your mother but did seem to be worrying.

I hope some of the above links will help you.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
@JavierT - I can't add much to what the good folk have already said but just wanted to say welcome from me too.

My husband was diagnosed young (58) so I understand the difficulty of trying to access services. As where you are, most of those the UK also list being over 65+ as part of their main criteria.

We did not go through the intense self-talking phase that you are experiencing with your mother. However, I have seen this in others, so I know how exhausting it is for all concerned.

In my husband's case, he did have similar anxieties, often dwelling on sad things which might have happened in the past, or which he thought were happening to someone, somewhere, who he had to help.

Trying to communicate these fears with his ever-limited vocabulary - and often only able to speak in a whispered voice (which many were unable to decipher) just served to increase his anxiety, frustration and exhaustion further. UTIs also escalated matters.

In the end he was prescribed a low level anti depressant, just to be given as and when needed, and it helped enormously.

You are doing a great job looking out for your mother's needs and finding out how best to help her. Keep posting - you'll get lots of support here.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
If she was to talk to her self and not affect her mood no big deal, but she brings up devastating topics, like losing her parents so she has high anxiety and mourns like it really happened. I try to entervene and let her know all is okay. I feel after she started talking so much to her self her anxiety is much higher.

Ah I see, sorry wasn't clear before. As the others have said see the GP, that level of insight and anxiety must be painful emotionally for her.

I was talking to mums GP about similar things and she told me that alot depends on what kind of childhood a pwd had and how it affects them as they degress.