Joint bank account with sufferer...

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Up to date?...

I've been looking at this old thread, and wondering if it could be bumped up, and perhaps some clever person might update anything that's changed. Just a thought, perhaps everything has changed. Can anyone advise where we can find this infirmation for ourselves?

Salamander

Dec 18, 2014
West Yorkshire
Still a little late to post but I have experienced problems with HSBC and POA very recently. I wanted to change bank account for my parents from joint names to sole name of my dad as mum is now in full time residential care. One branch said yes it can be done and presented my dad with a form to complete the transaction, went into my local branch with POA docs to register with them and get the account changed and they refused. Would not do it even though the lasting POA is a legal document. As a result I shall close the bank account and go elsewhere. No customer service it has nothing to do with the bank how we choose to use the account. When I challenged them on what the purpose of the form was if not for situations like this I was told "the form is for divorcing couples"....great so there's more consideration gone into that life stage than someone with no mental capacity.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
went into my local branch with POA docs to register with them and get the account changed and they refused.
Was this the people on the desk or the bank manager?
My experience is that people on the front desk often have no idea about POA (or, in my case, deputyship). Its much better to book an appointment with the bank manager if you want to do something with the POA

katydid

Oct 23, 2018
My Brian and I had three bank accounts running at the same time, "his" "mine" and "the housekeeping" into which he used to put a fixed sum each month. But they were all in joint names and it was mostly I who wrote out cheques and paid bills, etc..

He, too, had vascular dementia and I never brought this to the Bank's attention, not feeling that they needed to know. (Felt I had problems enough ...). I did not get a POA done in time as he became ill quite quickly and nor did he leave a Will.

But when he died back in July, the Bank could not have been more helpful, registering the death, transferring the accounts into my sole name, offering advice as to combining the three, etc.. I also dealt with the administration of his estate - very little to do as it was all in joint names bar his pension, and Pensions and Income Tax people were also very helpful. Maybe I have just been a little fortunate in that everything was very straightforward. Just writing to let you know that it can be trouble-free.

Love, Nan XXX

After a death you are correct things are usually quite straightforward. BUT. Not. Whilst one partner is alive, but without capacity. It can be a horrendous story. Get an LPA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tori_75