Travel tips please

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
i am taking Mum to see her sister who has vascular dementia. Mum has early stage Alzheimer’s. no physical issues except prone to stumbling but she does get confused and is forgetful. She does get confused with time/day. Due to the length of the drive I have booked us separate rooms in a small hotel and they have given us rooms next to each other. I am worried that she will wake up and not know where she is and what time it is even if I take her memory clock.
Apart from checking what Mum packs does anyone have any tips/hints or am I over worrying. Thank you

Donkeyshere

May 25, 2016
outside UK
What about the adjoining rooms like a family room where you have access to both via an interconnecting door - that way you can just check on her when you want to? Or even keep the door open between you? Just a thought.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I would have probably booked a twin room, to be honest. Might not be too late to change?

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Something to watch out for is your Mum getting locked out of her room. My wife did this often even though I was in the same room. Typically she would be looking for the bathroom or for me, step into the corridor and be unable to get back into the room when the door closed behind her. Then she would forget which was the right door and go for a wander. Your Mum might not do any of this but she may be confused and anxious. You should have a key to her room, explain where everything is in her room, and maybe leave a light on in the bathroom. Then try to sleep with your ears open for any activity in the next room. Best of luck.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Twin room would be my choice so that you will know exactly where she is and if she wakes up she will see you.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Thank you all for your replies. I should have mentioned I will be driving about 200 miles in the way there and I will have a 300 miles drive back. Not ideal timing but Mum’s sister is not doing well lately. The reason I did not go for a twin room is the fact that even with ear plugs in I cannot sleep with her snoring.

Last edited:

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
What about the adjoining rooms like a family room where you have access to both via an interconnecting door - that way you can just check on her when you want to? Or even keep the door open between you? Just a thought.
Thank you I will see if that is possible. It sound like a good idea

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
I would have probably booked a twin room, to be honest. Might not be too late to change?
I would have done but unfortunately Mum snores so loudly that even wearing ear plugs does not help. No sleep and a long drive back would not really mix

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Something to watch out for is your Mum getting locked out of her room. My wife did this often even though I was in the same room. Typically she would be looking for the bathroom or for me, step into the corridor and be unable to get back into the room when the door closed behind her. Then she would forget which was the right door and go for a wander. Your Mum might not do any of this but she may be confused and anxious. You should have a key to her room, explain where everything is in her room, and maybe leave a light on in the bathroom. Then try to sleep with your ears open for any activity in the next room. Best of luck.
Thank you for replying. I think this what I was concerned about if Mum wakes in the middle of the night and gets confused looking for the loo. I will take a little night light with me which might help and take some large A4 and write toilet on the appropriate door. I will also follow your suggestion and see if I can obtain another key for her room

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I travelled with my mum, who had vascular dementia and my husband, who had Alzheimer’s. You’re right to be concerned about your mum waking and becoming confused.

When we travelled with my mother we either stayed at self catering accommodation where I could be more aware of my mum’s needs or we used hotels where I could get a disabled access room with an adjoining door to our our room. We slept with that door wide open and even at that one time my mum managed to leave her bedroom when she came out of the loo. I thought I had kept alert all night but clearly she left her room while I was dozing. She was brought back to the room by the hotel receptionist.

My husband twice left a hotel room in Turkey after coming out of the en-suite loo. I didn’t hear him either time. Both times he was brought back by a member of staff. For the rest of that holiday I put bedding on the floor in front of the hotel room door and slept there. When we came back I posted about that on this forum and someone suggested an infra red door alarm and I bought one. This enabled my husband and I to keep travelling for a long time - it was a godsend. It would not have worked of course if he had been in a separate room.

This is more or less the same as the alarm I used -

https://www.nrshealthcare.co.uk/hea...46JykXdmjuF9-cbt_1PSuyYtNZNpKVWhoCKdoQAvD_BwE

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Some hotels have twin rooms where the second room in inside the first room. That way, mum couldn’t go wandering without you knowing, but you wouldn’t be disturbed by her snoring.
Worth asking.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Some hotels have twin rooms where the second room in inside the first room. That way, mum couldn’t go wandering without you knowing, but you wouldn’t be disturbed by her snoring.
Worth asking.
Thank you. I think I will ring the hotel and see if they have any rooms like this or interconnecting ones

Annakey

Oct 26, 2018
i am taking Mum to see her sister who has vascular dementia. Mum has early stage Alzheimer’s. no physical issues except prone to stumbling but she does get confused and is forgetful. She does get confused with time/day. Due to the length of the drive I have booked us separate rooms in a small hotel and they have given us rooms next to each other. I am worried that she will wake up and not know where she is and what time it is even if I take her memory clock.
Apart from checking what Mum packs does anyone have any tips/hints or am I over worrying. Thank you
I given up taking my husband away - it is too much stress and the night time is worst of all. It is no holiday for me so I am looking into respite care for him so I can have a holiday.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
I given up taking my husband away - it is too much stress and the night time is worst of all. It is no holiday for me so I am looking into respite care for him so I can have a holiday.

I hope you are able to obtain the respite care so you can get that holiday to recharge

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
I would maybe get some travel sickness pills.When the balance goes or is going they seem to be prone to bring sick.Even if they have driven.

sisterlindy

Jun 5, 2019
Have you thought about baby monitors. You would be able to hear it your mother started to move about. You can also get a leave the bed mat which is out on the floor beside the bed and would set an alarm off when she stood on it. The alarm would sound on a pager that you would have with you.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Have you thought about baby monitors. You would be able to hear it your mother started to move about. You can also get a leave the bed mat which is out on the floor beside the bed and would set an alarm off when she stood on it. The alarm would sound on a pager that you would have with you.
Thank you. I like the idea of a mat on the floor, I could put that by the room door in case she tried to exit the room in the night if she became muddled

007 I wish

Aug 4, 2019
I TOOK MY WIFE AWAY FOR THREE DAYS, TRY TAKING A NIGHT LIGHT FOR THE BEDROOM,
I HOPE ALL GOES WELL

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crazy Mayor