Friend signed up for BT mobile contract he doesnt need. BT refuse to cancel it.

Board Room

Aug 21, 2019
I have an 85-year-old friend who unfortunately has worsening memory and cognition issues.

A few months ago, he unwittingly signed up for a BT mobile contract (online) thinking it was a good deal.

He signed up for a 10GB high speed monthly data usage contract at approx. £20 per month. But he hardly uses his mobile phone. I have to show him how to make a call each time I see him! They can easily see there has been minimal use.

I contacted BT on my friends behalf to explain the situation and that he clearly made a mistake. The person I spoke to consulted her manager/supervisor but said there was nothing they could do. It was a fixed contract.

My friend has been a BT customer for over 60 years and this is how they treat him! It is outrageous and I am truly disgusted.

Is there a way I can appeal to them to see sense?

Thanks for your time.

B R

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
That is a shame. I'd put in a complaint and see where that gets you. I tried to cancel my mum's landline contract on-line. One of their 'chat' operators was very helpful and was doing it for me, after I explained I was deaf and couldn't easily use phones. My internet dropped out before it was completed, and all the other 'chat' operators were rubbish and just kept on referring me to the telephone number. When I complained, someone texted me, sorted it out, and refunded mum's last bill.

teckel

Mar 19, 2019
Dear Board Room
A few months ago my father (in his late 70's with similar issues to your friend) telephoned BT to complain about the price that he was paying for his broadband and landline ( over £80/month). The person that he spoke to, who I assume was part of the sales team, signed him up to a new contract with BT sport and TV, albeit at a cheaper price.

To the casual observer this may have looked like an acceptable solution, except...

• He cannot use the internet. He cannot even turn on the laptop. Mum got broadband before she had a catastrophic stroke a couple of years ago and she will never be in a position to use it again. When the BT 'sales person' got him to agree to the new contract my Dad did tell him that he couldn't even get the laptop to work.
  • None of our family have ever watched sport and never shall.
  • When the BT TV box arrived through the post my Dad said, "What am I supposed to do with this?" The probability that he could have worked out how to plug in and use the box was zero.
  • If the member of staff had looked at Dad's internet and phone use on their computer screen then it would have been patently obvious to them that there had been no internet used at his house for the last couple of years, since my Mum's stroke and that the landline use was in the region of £20 per quarter. They had been having it away with his money for around two years.

I spoke to the 'Value Team' at BT and explained the situation and expressed my horror at what I saw as an appalling act of mis-selling and exploitation of a vulnerable person. They were very understanding and cancelled the contract, although it did take a number of phone calls. I was also horrified that my parents has been with BT as loyal customers since the 1960s and yet they had been treated in this way. I stopped short of making a full complaint because life is sad enough, but I probably should have done so.

I can only suggest that you speak to the 'Value Team' I don't know if they deal with mobile contracts but BT should take responsibility these events.

Good luck

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
BT are rubbish. For the same amount of £20 I get 25 GB data monthly with O2. They do not understand how to rectify the simplest things, so good luck - even people without dementia have problems with them - see my caller display charge saga!

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I had no trouble cancelling my dad's internet contract with BT when he could no longer use it. I suppose it depends who you get on the other end of the line.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
In UK there is a Telecommunications Ombudsman and they could be worth contacting.

They have a web page and you might be might find some information there. You might be able to lodge a complaint online.

Board Room

Aug 21, 2019
Hi Everyone

Thanks very much for your replies. My apologies for the delay in responding.

I have since posted a mesage on the BT Community message boards and one of the moderators contacted me directly who has offered to look in to this matter.

I hope to report back in the coming week or so with a good outcome.

BR

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Thanks for the reminder. Yes I will contact them if I get no further with BT.

B R
If the ombudsman is doing his/her job, then Tele companies are very wary of them. I have had a couple of eye opening results here and it is how wonderfully quickly the phone companies leap into action when they find out a complaint has been made. Both times I complained the result was found in my favour. I even discovered that one of the phone companies had a dedicated number for dealing with complaints lodged with the ombudsman.

Bree

Oct 16, 2013
Sometimes just the threat of approaching the Ombudsman works, it's well worth a try.