Taking Donezepil

FMMS

Aug 20, 2019
My Mum has finally been diagnosed with Moderate stage Alzheimers (having been told it was MCI). Prescribed Donezepil. I live 3 hours away so a Carer needs to come in and give her the pill in the evening. The latest they will come is 9, but the GP said must be given at bedtime which is impossible to organise. Does anyone else have experience of the pill been given a couple of hours before bedtime? I am concerned about the fall risk.

BirdyC

Nov 20, 2017
Mum has been taking Donezepil for two years in the morning. I checked with the memory clinic and they said if she has no side effects ie upset tummy then it is Ok to do this. She is on the lower dose (5?) when she tried the larger dose (10?) she did get tummy upset so the mem clinic kept her on lower dose and so far all ok. I also live hours away so ring her every morning around 11am reminding her to take the tablets. The pharmacy is excellent - delivering 4 weeks worth of tablets in blister packs which I then label week 1/2/3/4.
Hope you get sorted.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi and welcome to TP
My wife took Donepezil and before the Aricept (basically the same thing) at lunch for about 5 years and she never had a balance problem I think it's more important it's taken at the same time everyday.
What happens now, do the carers same her up to give it or does she stay up for hours after she's been given the tablet?
K

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @FMMS
a warm welcome to DTP
I wouldn't worry about the time being exactly when your mum goes to bed, 9pm is well on in the evening so is roughly 'bedtime' ... important that she takes it at pretty much the same time each day, to keep continuity ... and, as BirdyC says, some people are better taking it in the morning, and some don't take to the increase in dose, but the carer can monitor how it goes

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
My mum has been taking Donepezil for over 4 years and has always had it in the morning, it has never caused any problems.

Justmary

Jul 12, 2018
West Midlands
Hi. My husband has been taking Donepezil for 4 years, first 5mg then 10mg, in the morning with breakfast. He hasn't had any problems. Hope it works for your mum.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Good morning and welcome to the forum.

My husband took Donepezil for years without any problems. Like others he took it the morning with breakfast.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Mum takes hers every morning and has done since she started it. The psychiatrist aked me to try it at night, but she was worse, so it went back to mornings pdq ;)

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
My husband also took his at breakfast time. We started it off as an evening medication in case there were side effects (which he could then sleep through as he was in bed overnight) - but there were no side effects.

In our case it was easier to give the medication in the morning with breakfast and the consultant said that was fine. As others have said, the main thing is to give it regularly at the same time each day.

Taking it in the evening rather than specifically at bedtime should be fine, but as with all medications it affects people differently, so it might be a case of trial and error before the best time of day and dosage is settled on.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan