Hearing noises

Meljay

Aug 19, 2019
My mother has mixed Alzheimer’s and vascular dementia and is in the moderate stage. She has recently started to hear singing late at night or just before or after a sleep. She can also hear people moving around and alarms going off very early in the morning. Has anyone else had this? How do I respond when asked if I can hear them as well? Mum is currently blaming the neighbours :)

Andrew_McP

Mar 2, 2016
South Northwest
When my mother misinterprets things she hears (or thinks she hears) I "call the Police" to report the problem. They will usually "tell me" that it's being investigated and shouldn't last long.

Some quiet music in the background at bedtime can also sometimes be useful to give my mother something to focus on.

Szaitisja

Jul 28, 2018
Hertfordshire
Hello
My friend has been diagnosed with vascular dementia few years ago. She also hear singing sometimes. Usually with her few hours after she starts hearing that she also starts seeing invisible people, luckily their usually her friends who passed away so in a way they are not disturbing. That's usually followed by a period of brain activity when she almost changes to her pre dementia self and remembers everything for up to 48 hours and then she has couple of days when brain seems to really slow down and she is very drowsy and it's hard to wake her up and she hardly eats and drinks.

When she asks about the singing I usually say I can't hear it and then we both decide they must have taken a break or maybe went to pub for few drinks and they might sing again later.

Meljay

Aug 19, 2019
i hadn’t thought of suggesting the pub as an excuse, I must admit I just say I can’t hear it but as one of the singers is apparently a tenor I’m not sure mum believes me :)
This stage seems to have suddenly escalated from occasional to most of today so I’m hoping it’s just a phase she may move out from.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
If this has started suddenly it may be a good idea to have a check for an infection or dehydration.

Something like an ear infection or UTI could be the cause.

My wife gets auditory hallucinations at night and I tell het that she is just dreaming as she is drifting off to sleep and she has always accepted that explanation.

Maggie

Oct 11, 2003
Gibraltar/England london Now
My mother has mixed Alzheimer’s and vascular dementia and is in the moderate stage. She has recently started to hear singing late at night or just before or after a sleep. :)

My wife gets auditory hallucinations at night and I tell het that she is just dreaming as she is drifting off to sleep and she has always accepted that explanation.

@
karaokePete

I use to tell my mother that also when she use to experience those symptoms.

I never forget in the early days of caring for my mother full time & being clueless about VD/AZ My mother telling me that she saw my deceased dad on a house & cart in her room.
I new my mother first date with my mother was went on a horse cart in Gibraltar where they meet .
So I told her she must of been dreaming .
She would get very Paranoid also about people hearing things.

Meljay

Aug 19, 2019
Karaoke Pete,
Thanks a lot for the UTI suggestion, I’ll go to the Gp tomorrow and arrange a test. Mum has had these instances of noise before but when she’s sleeping not during the day.

lell

Nov 21, 2017
Hi everyone. Today is difficult. My dad has Alz, and he's recently been poorly with a chest infection so I don't know if his behaviour is a consequence of that? As you guys seem to have experienced similar, I thought that I could perhaps share with you? He woke up early this morning and went downstairs for a cup of tea. Then he was coming back upstairs to see if his wife wanted a drink (which his what he used to do). But she died 4 years ago. I told him that she wasn't here. He was adamant that someone was upstairs so I said it was me. His general demeanour is like pre-dementia dad, he's even walking upright as he did before diagnosis, but he is very confused with what he is saying? It's like all his thoughts are trying to get out at the same time? Does that even make sense?? He can't remember enough words to make a complete sentence before the next thought is pushing in! He seems to have frightened himself believing that he could hear wallpaper peeling off the ceiling in the bedroom/he was decorating all night? I don't have wallpaper on the ceiling! He's not usually chatty with me, but today seems to want to talk all the time! Is this another step in the journey, or could it be the infection that he had?

Maggie

Oct 11, 2003
Gibraltar/England london Now
I thought my mother had an infection when I found those Symptoms you are describing in how your father is acting like he use to before the Diagnose, it was not an infection with my mother .

So it could be a Combination of both an infection & the dementia.

from my personal experience sounds like your father Symptoms of getting his words confused is normal .
As that does happen to some people with a dementia depending what stage the dementia is at .
Only time will tell if when the infection clears up so will the confusion.