Update on George

Margaret938

Hello folks, I haven't been on here for ages. George is still in care, it has been 6 and a half years now. Up until a month or two ago he was ok, but a recurring chest infection has taken its toll. It has been one thing after another and he is now on his fourth lot of antibiotics. All I want is to see him sitting up in his chair again. Today I noticed that the skin was peeling from his fingers. Can anyone tell me what causes this. The only thing I can think of is that he clenches his hands all the time and today when I tried to straighten his fingers I noticed that his palms were very hot and sweating, could it be cause with sweat.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hello @Margaret938 - it’s so lovely to hear from you again.

I’m so sorry to hear of George’s problems. I’m afraid I have no experience of that but I just wanted to say hello.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
@Margaret938 i looked that condition up
On the net and excess sweat can cause peeling skin but other causes exist too. Better get it checked by a visiting doctor.

Just thinking that if it’s a type of contact dermatitis it might be triggered by something like medicated wipes for his hands.

Margaret938

Hello @Margaret938 - it’s so lovely to hear from you again.

I’m so sorry to hear of George’s problems. I’m afraid I have no experience of that but I just wanted to say hello.
Hello Izzy, as you will see from my post, George and I are still hanging in there. Life is getting more and more difficult and the past few weeks have been an up hill struggle for George and for me. I get very down when George is unwell, I am so afraid of losing him.

Margaret938

@Margaret938 i looked that condition up
On the net and excess sweat can cause peeling skin but other causes exist too. Better get it checked by a visiting doctor.

Just thinking that if it’s a type of contact dermatitis it might be triggered by something like medicated wipes for his hands.
Thanks, I think the GP is coming in to visit him tomorrow or Wednesday when his antibiotics are finished, so I will make sure the skin problem is made known to her.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Margaret938.

It`s nice to see you back but I`m sorry you are so worried about Geroge. I hope the GP can prescribe something to help George's hands.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Hi Margaret
Bet you thought you would never hear from me again! I've recently started reading the Forum again and saw you on here! So sorry that George is having problems with his skin-it could be anything really. It could be nothing much or even a reaction to meds or cream. Whatever the reason I can tell that you are very worried so I hope the Dr can give you some answers.

You and George are on one hell of a long journey my friend. Please take care of yourself.

Love from Lyn T xx

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Hi Margaret, lovely to see you posting. Sorry George is not so well and understand your worrying. . The contracting of the fingers will cause the sweating, this happened to my husband too. We put a bandage roll in his hand which helped to keep his fingers away from his palms and prevented the sweatiness I did knit him a very colourful caterpillar that worked well too, he quite liked the bright colours.

Take care and best wishes as always.

Margaret938

Hello @Margaret938.

It`s nice to see you back but I`m sorry you are so worried about Geroge. I hope the GP can prescribe something to help George's hands.
hello Sylvia, Nice of you to reply. The GP didn't come in today, so I gave George's hands a good wash and then massaged them with Conotrane. They felt and looked a lot better after my "treatment". He was brighter today and had been up and in his chair in the morning, only being put back into bed when I got in at 2pm. So not a bad day for me.

Margaret938

Hi Margaret
Bet you thought you would never hear from me again! I've recently started reading the Forum again and saw you on here! So sorry that George is having problems with his skin-it could be anything really. It could be nothing much or even a reaction to meds or cream. Whatever the reason I can tell that you are very worried so I hope the Dr can give you some answers.

You and George are on one hell of a long journey my friend. Please take care of yourself.

Love from Lyn T xx

Margaret938

Hello Lyn, so nice to hear from you again. I think the last time we spoke you were moving to Devon. I hope you have settled there and are very happy. George was a bit brighter today, I was so pleased to hear that they had him up and in his chair all morning. He was very comfortable in bed when I got in, the girls had just put him there at 2pm. I massaged his hands with Conotrane and they did look and feel a lot better after my pampering. It has been a long journey for George and I and I can tell you, he looks very well. Still the handsome chap I know and love. Take care, Love Margaret