Probate Office Problems

Bree

Oct 16, 2013
I have today made a new will, and I am thinking of storing it with the probate office. They state that one must have the necessary envelope to forward the will to them for storage. They state that one can be obtained from any probate office in the UK.

Fine, so I started with my local probate office, recorded message, then cut off. I 'Googled' other probate offices, and started at the top and worked my way down, it seems that the recorded message, before being disconnected is the new procedure at all probate offices. I could not get through to ONE, not even the main probate office in London.

Now I'm having a re-think, maybe a local solicitor is the way to go, God help you if you need an appointment for probate, what on earth is going on ?

Melles Belles

Jul 4, 2017
South east
There are problems with the probate offices. My Dad’s grant of probate took 20 weeks when it should have taken about 6 weeks. I believe they have been closing smaller offices and making staff redundant and introducing a new computer system. You could try emailing them. Sorry but I don’t know how to post a link but if you search for directory of probate registries you should be able to find your local one and its email address

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
There are problems with the probate offices. My Dad’s grant of probate took 20 weeks when it should have taken about 6 weeks. I believe they have been closing smaller offices and making staff redundant and introducing a new computer system. You could try emailing them. Sorry but I don’t know how to post a link but if you search for directory of probate registries you should be able to find your local one and its email address
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...probate-registries-and-appointment-venues-pa4

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
I made a new will a few weeks ago but as I was also setting up a discretionary trust ( not to cheat the system but to protect my son who's life is falling apart right now!) I had to use a solicitor who is storing my will.

But had it been a straight forward will and I had not used a solicitor, it was suggested that I sent copies of the will to my children who are the trustees and told them where the original one is.

I have told them who the solicitor is anyway to make it easier for them.

McBeagle

Aug 11, 2019
Yes, Probate Registies are exceptionally overstretched at the moment. Apparently this is due to get better by end of September so you could try again then. Otherwise you could store the will in a bank safety deposit box. Metro have them in branch for example.

McBeagle

Aug 11, 2019
Just let the relevant people know where it is and keep a copy with details of the storage location at your home.

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
I made a new will a few weeks ago but as I was also setting up a discretionary trust ( not to cheat the system but to protect my son who's life is falling apart right now!) I had to use a solicitor who is storing my will.

But had it been a straight forward will and I had not used a solicitor, it was suggested that I sent copies of the will to my children who are the trustees and told them where the original one is.

I have told them who the solicitor is anyway to make it easier for them.

Good for you not using a solicitor,we did and I regret it we even have one as an executor and we were going to change that and remove her but we didn't manage to get back to the office as mum had mobility problems and then had a diagnosis of dementia and she hasn't got capacity,the more I have read about it and how easy it is to do yourself I can't believe how naive we were in asking them,it's money for old rope and mums will is very straight forward,I'm the sole heir anyway as an only child,if I'm lucky enough to end up with the house it may have to be sold to pay the solicitors fees, which is ironic considering our visit was intended to provide security for me,I have heard that the fees can be astronomical:mad:

Bree

Oct 16, 2013
Thank you all for your replies.

I used a will maker this time, as my will is not that straight forward. That said, he was very surprised to learn that I had done the probate for my mother's will, he said that only about 9% of people do it themselves. Why pay a solicitor when you can do it yourself.

As I recall it was very easy, just did the paper work and took a trip to our local probate office. Saw a very nice man, and had no problems at all, job done.

I don't have my new will yet, when it arrives I will have to signed and witnessed, might be September by then, so hopefully I will have more luck at the probate office.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
Thank you all for your replies.

I used a will maker this time, as my will is not that straight forward. That said, he was very surprised to learn that I had done the probate for my mother's will, he said that only about 9% of people do it themselves. Why pay a solicitor when you can do it yourself.

As I recall it was very easy, just did the paper work and took a trip to our local probate office. Saw a very nice man, and had no problems at all, job done.

I don't have my new will yet, when it arrives I will have to signed and witnessed, might be September by then, so hopefully I will have more luck at the probate office.

Just out of curiosity, how much did the will maker charge compared to using a solicitor?

Bree

Oct 16, 2013
Just out of curiosity, how much did the will maker charge compared to using a solicitor?
£120.00, he came to the house, and went through all the details with me. Very professional, very re-assuring.