Altering the clock?

Szaitisja

Jul 28, 2018
Hertfordshire
Hi all. I need some advice and opinions please.
I look after a friend who's got VD. She does get very tired and down in the evenings. She is used to going to bed around 10pm and doesn't like getting up before 9am and the later in the morning the better usually. She usually spends the last hour, hour and a half in the evening just dozing off in her chair where she sits all day, as her mobility is not good and she doesn't walk much. Mostly from one room to another in the morning and evening and toilet when needed. She is usually very drowsy and sometimes it's possible to convince her to go to bed a bit earlier so she can lie down comfortably and have some proper rest, but it only works if I manage to distract her from looking at the clock. If she catches a glimpse of it and sees it's not 10pm yet, no matter how tired she is she will refuse. One evening the visiting carer managed to get her to bed abut 8.30 pm (I don't know how) and she slept right through the night and the next day was in a much better mood and seemed to function very very well compared to an average day.
An idea popped into my head that maybe altering the clocks she looks at by 1h could be the solution worth trying to see if it would work for a while at least and if getting a bit more sleep would benefit her and make her less anxious on everyday basis.
It feels to me tho like i'm deceiving her and I am in 2 minds. Could that be perceived as abuse or neglect or something like that by the social services or care agency etc?
What are your opinions please? I would really appreciate some advice...

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
At one stage my husband was obsessed by time and I deliberately grew a plant up
The wall and over the clock so he couldn’t see it clearly. Do what you need to do in her best interest.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @Szaitisja
sounds like the very opposite of abuse or neglect ... you are looking for ways to help your friend and have a very good reason for this small fudging of time ...so, I agree, do whatever is best to support your friend

just thinking, though, that there are other clues to the time eg TV programmes, radio announcements, so take those into consideration too

and have an apology and excuse ready for if she rumbles you and realises what the time really is

Szaitisja

Jul 28, 2018
Hertfordshire
Thank you for your replies:)
We don't really watch much tv anymore. I have to be careful to choose programmes without violence etc, as they can sometimes influence her hallucinations, so we mostly watch old comedies on youtube on our tv. 'I love Lucy' and such like. She struggles to follow new plots and gets very upset at the amount of bad language in modern programmes.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anne Paterson