UTI & Delirium causing loss of speech

Graybiker

Oct 3, 2017
County Durham
mam was admitted to hospital on Friday night after becoming unresponsive in the home. Diagnosed UTI & hypo delirium.
She seems to be slowly improving, eg tonight when we visited she had her eyes open and managed to eat a little, but my biggest worry is she still hasn’t spoken, not since Fri night. She makes the odd attempt but nothing comes out.
Before this she was full of chat, indeed other visitors often thought she was herself a visitor rather than a resident as she would chat with them.

I realise it’s early days, but I’m curious to know if anyone has any experience or knowledge of this & the likelihood of her speech returning.
Thanks x

Sammycat

Jul 21, 2018
mam was admitted to hospital on Friday night after becoming unresponsive in the home. Diagnosed UTI & hypo delirium.
She seems to be slowly improving, eg tonight when we visited she had her eyes open and managed to eat a little, but my biggest worry is she still hasn’t spoken, not since Fri night. She makes the odd attempt but nothing comes out.
Before this she was full of chat, indeed other visitors often thought she was herself a visitor rather than a resident as she would chat with them.

I realise it’s early days, but I’m curious to know if anyone has any experience or knowledge of this & the likelihood of her speech returning.
Thanks x

Hi Graybiker
My husband has had quite a few episodes where he has been like your mam. Each time he has lost his speech and swallow reflex and each time it has come back, sometimes after a day or two, sometimes after a few weeks so please don't lose hope. The last time he was unresponsive was in May and it lasted so long that I was told that this was the end. He somehow fought his way back and his speech, although it was slurred and confused, was the first sign of recovery. 3 months later he is almost back to where he was before. I discovered that when he was struggling to talk he could manage to sing a little. Singing also helped to soothe him was he was upset or agitated.

Graybiker

Oct 3, 2017
County Durham
Hi Graybiker
My husband has had quite a few episodes where he has been like your mam. Each time he has lost his speech and swallow reflex and each time it has come back, sometimes after a day or two, sometimes after a few weeks so please don't lose hope. The last time he was unresponsive was in May and it lasted so long that I was told that this was the end. He somehow fought his way back and his speech, although it was slurred and confused, was the first sign of recovery. 3 months later he is almost back to where he was before. I discovered that when he was struggling to talk he could manage to sing a little. Singing also helped to soothe him was he was upset or agitated.

Thanks for that, it’s good to hear. I’m relieved you also mentioned the swallow reflex as she seemed to me to be struggling with this today, she kept spluttering, though it improved a little when we moved onto the rice pudding :) I did mention it to the nurse but I’ll bring it up again tomorrow.
And strange that you mention singing, I was thinking of playing some music to her tomorrow as she loves it so much, her father was a musician, I’ll give it a try.

Grateful for your input, it’s the first time mam has been ill, other than a cold and has knocked us all a bit x

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Sorry, no advice to offer you Graybiker. It is hard to visit a loved one in hospital especially when they already have dementia, so only offering moral support. Good luck with the music, I hope it helps to soothe you and your mum.

Graybiker

Oct 3, 2017
County Durham
T
Sorry, no advice to offer you Graybiker. It is hard to visit a loved one in hospital especially when they already have dementia, so only offering moral support. Good luck with the music, I hope it helps to soothe you and your mum.

Thank you, that’s kind.
Going to visit very soon, we’ll see how she is today x

Graybiker

Oct 3, 2017
County Durham
Mam was unresponsive again today, big change from yesterday.
Doc came to talk to us, (me, dad & my daughter), said she is very poorly, if she continues to deteriorate & her heart stops they won’t attempt resuscitation as it’s unlikely to work. Her whole body is working so hard just to breathe I’m not sure how much longer she can keep this up.
Difficult times x

Latitude

Jul 12, 2019
Doc came to talk to us, (me, dad & my daughter), said she is very poorly, if she continues to deteriorate & her heart stops they won’t attempt resuscitation as it’s unlikely to work. Her whole body is working so hard just to breathe I’m not sure how much longer she can keep this up.
Difficult times x

I'm so sorry to read of your very difficult situation. Horrendous for you all.

My PWD was recently admitted to hospital in similar circumstances but has additional complications arising from neglect and starvation in their care facility. Until I read your posts I was feeling very much alone and although in one way it helps me to know someone else is going through a similar awful time I'm also very aware of how difficult this must be for you. I'm so sorry.

Graybiker

Oct 3, 2017
County Durham
I'm so sorry to read of your very difficult situation. Horrendous for you all.

My PWD was recently admitted to hospital in similar circumstances but has additional complications arising from neglect and starvation in their care facility. Until I read your posts I was feeling very much alone and although in one way it helps me to know someone else is going through a similar awful time I'm also very aware of how difficult this must be for you. I'm so sorry.

Thank you so much for your reply, especially in light of your own circumstances.
I can only say I hope things turn out well for you and am so sorry you are going through this too.
To have seen mam go from walking, talking, playing with a balloon & doubled over with laughter on Thursday, to where we are now has been quite a shock. Fortunately she was/is in a good home where she was well cared for and still enjoyed life, I can’t imagine how you must be feeling with the added difficulties.
I wish you well & again, many thanks.
Do take care of yourself x
PS I was feeling alone too so am extra grateful for your reply x

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Difficult times x

I’m so sorry to read your news. Difficult times indeed. Wishing you strength.

Graybiker

Oct 3, 2017
County Durham
Sadly my beautiful, vivacious, loving &kind mam died on Friday evening.
Despite the dementia and living in a home she still had a good quality of life and was happy. She had made friends & laughed so much. She was mobile, dressed herself, indeed did most things independently & apart from Alzheimer’s had no health problems. It has come as a huge shock to us, and the staff at the home, not what we expected at all.
Perhaps it’s a blessing that she went while still happy and before suffering the worst of this disease, but It’s very little comfort just now.
My dad was with her at the end which he is very grateful for, I had only left her an hour previously.
My emotions are all over, deep sadness of course, but also a rage and I want to scream at how unfair it all is.
Anyway, wanted to tell you as I know you’ll understand.
Thanks for all the help & info
X

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`m so sorry to read news of your mother`s death @Graybiker So much to have happened in a week.

Look after yourself now. Your mother`s suffering is over. May she rest in peace.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swaugh