Need advice

Mary Sammut

Aug 12, 2019
I have a dear sister-in-law who is suffering from Alzheimer. I want some advice on how to deal with certain situations. She keeps insisting that her grand father is in hospital recovering from some illness and she wants to go and see him. Her grand father has been dead for 60 years and she insists that no he is still alive. Would it be easier to agree with her and tell her that yes he is getting better and when he is back home we can go visit him?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Mary Sammut and welcome to DPT
Would it be easier to agree with her and tell her that yes he is getting better and when he is back home we can go visit him?
It think this is an excellent answer.
You will not be able to reason with her, nor bring her back to reality, so you have to enter their reality and say whatever will comfort her

Blodski

Sep 3, 2017
Conwy
I have a dear sister-in-law who is suffering from Alzheimer. I want some advice on how to deal with certain situations. She keeps insisting that her grand father is in hospital recovering from some illness and she wants to go and see him. Her grand father has been dead for 60 years and she insists that no he is still alive. Would it be easier to agree with her and tell her that yes he is getting better and when he is back home we can go visit him?
Hello

My mother has Mixed Dementia and often asks about people who have died, including my father who only died in October. She asks to go and see him and I just say things like "oh yes, we can arrange it next week", or "we can go when he's feeling better". She seems to accept this kind of approach and within 5 minutes the conversation has moved on.

I think the general advice from the TP community would be to NEVER remind PWD that someone has died, and NEVER try to correct them or reason with them. It's very difficult but you sort of get used to telling these little lies. Good luck!

Mary Sammut

Aug 12, 2019
Hello

My mother has Mixed Dementia and often asks about people who have died, including my father who only died in October. She asks to go and see him and I just say things like "oh yes, we can arrange it next week", or "we can go when he's feeling better". She seems to accept this kind of approach and within 5 minutes the conversation has moved on.

I think the general advice from the TP community would be to NEVER remind PWD that someone has died, and NEVER try to correct them or reason with them. It's very difficult but you sort of get used to telling these little lies. Good luck!
Thank you for your help.